Buying a house - what to ask for in chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wizards8507

Nov 7, 2016
CT
My wife and I are purchasing a new home and we're going through the inspection and repair process with the sellers. The home is a center hall colonial with an exterior two-story brick chimney. The clay liner in the wood-burning fireplace flue is damaged and I'd like to ask the sellers to have it lined with stainless steel. I plan on installing a fireplace insert similar to the HI300 somewhere in the near future, and I'd like to avoid shooting myself in the foot by having the sellers install a liner that won't meet the needs of my eventual insert. Is there anything special I should ask for, or are these liners standard enough that whatever they have installed will be compatible with my insert later on?

My wife and I are purchasing a new home and we're going through the inspection and repair process with the sellers. The home is a center hall colonial with an exterior two-story brick chimney. The clay liner in the wood-burning fireplace flue is damaged and I'd like to ask the sellers to have it lined with stainless steel. I plan on installing a fireplace insert similar to the HI300 somewhere in the near future, and I'd like to avoid shooting myself in the foot by having the sellers install a liner that won't meet the needs of my eventual insert. Is there anything special I should ask for, or are these liners standard enough that whatever they have installed will be compatible with my insert later on?
If they are having it repaired now as an open fireplace it will not work for an insert. But any good 6" insulated liner should work.

Reactions: wizards8507
So maybe I'd be better off asking them to just credit me $2,000 and use that to do the stove install and lining all at once?
Probably a better option yes

Reactions: wizards8507
I would think it would be more then the cost of just a liner and insulation.....

I had a quote of $2700 to reline my chimney... straight shot, 20'.

• Wow
Reactions: andym
I did it all myself.. New insulated liner & all fittings, new double wall stovepipe and new stove for about 3k. LOTS of research first, and it took forever to get the liner here correctly.... Plenty of help from the knowledgeable fellows here.

Reactions: enduring
I would have thought around 7-800 for the liner, then 6-800 for the install. The insert or stove would be extra depending on what you want.

I would have thought around 7-800 for the liner, then 6-800 for the install. The insert or stove would be extra depending on what you want.
Yeah, that was what I thought. It included knocking the old liner out. I struggled getting anyone to come out. Most places wouldn't "just" do a re-line, they only wanted to do a new full install. I'm kind of glad in the end though. I have a new liner, new pipe and a new stove for a reasonable price. Discovered some code violations during my research too that the guy who gave me the quote didn't see/mention. Everything is to code now...

Reactions: Woody Stover
Get a credit, get what you want.