Buying a used Homelite electric splitter - what to look out for

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Any recommendations on what to look for? I’m going to be able to power it up, but won’t be able to split anything.

Not much to offer but just curious what the cost is.

Last edited:
I haven't needed a splitter so far, I can normally wedge stuff I can't beat apart with the monster maul, though I've always had this hilarious idea if I needed a splitter. I scope out everyone on craigslist selling one locally. Then load up a truck load of the gnarly stuff I cant split by hand "for testing purposes". See how much they actually let me split without buying the thing before kicking me out of their driveway. Move on to the next seller lol.

I think you did good. They are $300 new.

I had a electric splitter for a few years. They all seem to be the same but I have seen some that were 230v models that I doubt many buy them as a gas splitter is in line with their cost and more practical. One thing about a electric splitter is that if you need to run a extension cord to it try to use a good 12 gauge cord and the shorter the cord length the better. The motor will start better and run better too. And now that I think of it there’s another thing that helps, have a sturdy table or bench to put the splitter to bring it up to a height that is comfortable for you to work at since the electric splitters are low to the ground. And you might want to have a 2 wheel dolly handy to move it as they usually have dinky plastic wheel on them... the dolly was a must for me with my gravel driveway out here in the sticks. Also, if you can’t split the logs down the center then chop away from the edges or turn the log and find a weak spot. You’ll learn...

Last edited:
Just tried it out. Pretty impressed for $150. Did pretty good on some gnarly cherry that I could not get with my Fiskars.
Definitely can see of some needed minor improvements, but that’s what makes it fun.

I’ve got one of those. It works pretty good. Make sure you open the wing nut on the right hand side 1.5-2 turns before you use it or you will blow the seals.

John

I bought an electric splitter a couple years ago. I just went to check and the label has worn off, so I don't know what kind it is. Cost about $200. I get my wood delivered already split, but I find it handy for those 8" splits where the logger got lazy. Haven't found anything it can't handle, although some pieces can only be split in one direction. My only beef is that mine requires both hands on the controls. I've learned to hold down one button with my knee while holding the log in place. Also good for making kindling.

I have one. $150 used in good condx is great. They are $300 new and worth that. I'm too late to add anything new, but I will reinforce some above remarks:

Be sure the wing nut is loosened a few turns to allow pressure relief when in use. You only need to close it if you are going to transport it on end where the oil may leak out. I transport mine with the wheels, but at 100 lbs, I need help getting up to a handy height on a couple of saw horses with a slab of plywood between. It it is much better to use it at waist high rather than on the ground.

They pull every bit of 15 amps on start-up. So be sure to use an extension cord of 12 gauge or higher depending on length. But that depends on what outlet you are using for a source. I've gone as far as 100' with 12g, but I had it plugged in right at a 30 amp circuit. If it keeps quitting on you, it's probably inadequate current. Sometimes at the source's breaker, sometimes the reset breaker on the splitter.

I use mine outside in the summer when I'm doing continual work, but in the winter, I put it in the corner of the garage to split down for kindling, etc. Perfect for that kind of thing and it's protected from wx and handy at any whim.

It can do some pretty large rounds, but you may want to hold the larger ones to the side and kind of slice off slabs at a time. I like doing the slab thing anyway since they dry faster.

Maybe I'll think of some other hints later. Have fun. I really like mine.

Last edited:
My only beef is that mine requires both hands on the controls. I've learned to hold down one button with my knee while holding the log in place.
I saw an earlier post where someone rigged up a foot pedal to the lever. I've not done that, but it is a safety feature and I wouldn't advise it for that reason. But it would work. That was where the rig was at an elevated height. You get used to the lever, though.

I don’t know for sure but this little thing is great. I split a bunch of cherry and oak this weekend and it did great.
IMG_4631.JPG

what's the cycle time like on these electric splitters?
You can probably find the specs on that. It seems to go slow on the retreat, but you can stop it with the lever any time you want to queue up the the next split. Time really isn't an issue. It helps to hold the lever down somehow so it can't retreat any farther than necessary while you put the next split on. Things can go pretty fast that way.

And many straight grain species split so easily, it hardly has to push in much at all before it splits and then you can release it. Goes nicely once you get the hang of it.

I don't suggest any safety bypasses BTW...

Last edited:
Amyone run one of these 5 ton splitters on a generator? If so, what size. I tried today on a 3,250w and it wouldnt run.

I was going to try mine on a 8250 watt genny, everytime I use it in my garage I break the circuit. If I have a chance this weekend Ill let you know.

Thank you, I think the surge amps are high.

Amyone run one of these 5 ton splitters on a generator? If so, what size. I tried today on a 3,250w and it wouldnt run.
Not too familiar with generators but just a question, did you turn off any "eco" idle features and maybe run a notable resistive load (e.g. space heater) in parallel to help? Wonder if doing something like that can "crutch" the generator into performing...

I was very lucky in that an old neighbor gave me his old one for free... he was about to sell his house. It's great for splitting down kindling. Haven't tripped a breaker yet thankfully but I run it on a garage circuit that's usually not in use by anything else. I concur the thought about putting it on a platform, I don't have the ability to do this and I wish I did. Would go much easier that way.