Buying a Used Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

loquinho

Nov 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I was hoping there was a sticky on this forum for what to look or when inspecting a used wood stove prior to purchase, but since there's not I thought I'd ask the question. I have a 1949 cape cod with a small fireplace that limits my insert options. The Lopi Revere, however, is a perfect fit and I've been wanting one for years. Our fireplace currently eats through red oak like cookie monster.

Anyway, I have been quoted $2,382 locally for a new Revere unit. That's unit only - no fan, installation, etc. I just found a used Lopi Revere listed on craigslist somewhat locally (± 100 miles) for $500. I'm willing to drive the distance to save over $1500, but I want to make sure it functions properly before shelling out that much money. Is there a basic checklist of things I can look for before I make the transaction and haul it home?

Look at the secondary burn tubes, and the manifold that they are attached to. The manifold has a tendency to crack if pushed too hard too often. The burn tubes are replaceable but warpage or sagging is a sure sign of abuse. Put a straight edge on the stovetop, it will show any warping or sagging. However that's unlikely..

That's a good price, does it come with a liner? I'd ask, that would be a big plus! Good luck

Test the blower also. You will need a 3/8" nut driver, pull the blower, heat the snap-stat up and the blower will fire up hopefully. Just use a gas lighter. The stat is located top center on the back of the blower, right between the 2 bolts you will remove that hold the blower on.