buying off CL/Marketplace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Follow up on my latest experience: replied to ad with specific questions about how long wood was down, split, stacked...was told 1.5 years on ash and white oak and 'am burning it myself'. As I had to load myself and I didn't want to be a sucker, I dug a moisture meter out of somewhere in my workshop. Split a few pieces of ash and they were testing at >15%, so I loaded up a face cord for $80.

Onto the white oak - by this point we were having a long conversation about wood, lumber, stoves, etc etc etc and I made the MISTAKE of not testing like I did the ash. Mostly because of my own issue with not wanting to 'offend'. It looked and sounded dry, but I should have tested it. When I got home I split some, threw on a bonfire, and sure enough its hissing and it's all north of 25% in the middle of large splits. I feel like a dummy because I could have avoided it, but am still pissed after the whole process of what we went through. Oh well, at least it'll be ready for me next year.

All very helpful information, thank you. Yes, its my first season with soon-to-be installed stove, and much to learn. I did manage to split about a cord mid-summer to get ahead of the game for next season, but still looking for this winter. I have a few promising leads and a moisture meter I need to learn to use :rolleyes:.
Living in the city, I know a few folks who split their own, but not many who heat full time enough to have reliable sources.

I was in the same boat as you last year. We just moved to a new house and right away installed a stove. I bought 2 cords from 2 different sellers and it was absolute junk. Honestly if you have a supply already from the summer I would burn that! It’s probably better then what you would buy! Theirs guys that would tell you they burn ash the day they drop it. From now on go nuts and split as much wood as you can! I split 10 cords last winter just so I wouldn’t have to deal with that ever again!!!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I don't buy wood. I have asked about wood laying in the ditch and they always want $20 a pickup load. I have been tempted to try it because I can haul a full cord on my "rusty old truck", but I can find free wood easy enough. I like to scrounge after big storms and if people are clearing land. Sometimes people want trees removed and are fine with brush left behind. Sometimes I will do that if it's an easy score.

I love ash, but it usually has emerald ash borer and we are trying to keep it away from our place. Might be a lost cause, but we try. I passed up several free loads last year and am half regretting it.

When buying already split wood, expect to stack it for 2 yrs at least before burning. IMO oak takes longer.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I did manage to split about a cord mid-summer to get ahead of the game for next season, but still looking for this winter.
If you have a saw, and know someone with a woods, cut small, dead trees with the bark fallen off, <8" diameter. Those will very often be pretty dry. It takes a while to stack a lot of wood when harvesting the small ones but it WILL be dry wood.

I saw a flyer around my area “pickup truck load of firewood delivered anywhere in the county $50.00.” I don’t see any way this guy is getting ahead in any way.

That guy is not trying to get ahead. He is probably trying to get some cash for his next score of meth or feed his family tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
That guy is not trying to get ahead. He is probably trying to get some cash for his next score of meth or feed his family tonight.
Or he cleared some ground and needs to be rid of the leftovers!