Buying saws from ebay or craigslist ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing I forgot to mention--if you think you have "protection" buying on feeBay through Paypal, guess again! I bought some camera gear a few years back and got totally scammed, feeBay and Paypal did NOTHING! Google "paypal sucks" or "ebay sucks" and you will see what can happen if your deal goes south and you actually need Paypal or feeBay to step up to the plate for you..........

NP

I bought an ms390 from ebay. I paid about $75 less than the local dealer's price. It runs great. I probably should have saved a little longer and bought new for the peace of mind or saved more than that and bought a 361. I'm happy with it.

I still browse craigslist but not ebay. Today I saw an 084 with a 42" bar for $800. That would be nice to have. I could walk around with it on my shoulder like an
"Axeman".

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/1691161405.html

K2Orion said:
I bought an ms390 from ebay. I paid about $75 less than the local dealer's price. It runs great. I probably should have saved a little longer and bought new for the peace of mind or saved more than that and bought a 361. I'm happy with it.

I still browse craigslist but not ebay. Today I saw an 084 with a 42" bar for $800. That would be nice to have. I could walk around with it on my shoulder like an
"Axeman".

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/1691161405.html

That saw worth every penny sweet find on that saw those are very hard to find in good shape!

As others have said Ebay saws tend to be a bit high. I have bought 2 saws from CL, one was a cheap Homelite I got for $20, fixed it up and now runs OK. I also got my Husky 350 from CL, it was a non runner I got for $50, I replaced the piston and ring and fixed it up and now it's a nice saw.

Also worth mentioning is yard sales, a guy at work is big yard sale buyer, he picked a nice Jonsered for $10, and few other saws for cheap money.

I bought an MS 180 from CL about a year ago. Paid $100. I bought a new chain for it. Runs great. Doesn't start as easily as my 029, but I am happy with it.

Just picked up a Husqvarna 385XP for $700.00 shipped to my door. About $220.00 of list. Brand new, never had bar oil or fuel in it. And she rips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC

Last year I picked up my 445 from a pawn shop on ebay, new in the box. Paid $225 for it and $18 in shipping. New at Lowes they are $315 and at a local dealer they are $330. So I was glad on the deal I got. When I got it, it was very clear that it had never been used. Since I bought it, I've run about 4 gallons of gas through it, and it just cuts and cuts.

Sometimes on Ebay, I do wonder by the prices if people really know what the item is worth. Saw one guy list a Husky 350 NIB for $375 plus $30 in shipping back in January. I had to wonder if he really thought it would sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.