Buying Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SweitzerWorks

Dec 28, 2017
Southern Vermont
Hey folks, working on plumbing an Avalon Rainier I got on craigslist. It's about 17' to a cathedral ceiling with a 12:12 roof, and a local stove shop just quoted me $1200 for the whole system with single wall 22ga black pipe. This is quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend (just doodling around on the home depot site I figured about $700 for DuraVent triple wall!)

Any idea's on how to save some money here or maybe a trusty site that offers decent pipe?

Let me know,
Thanks!
-Jackson

That's a decent price for a professional install and the chimney pipe will most likely be better quality than triple-wall DuraPlus which is DuraVent's value line. Personally I would use double-wall stove pipe too. The heat loss off the single-wall will be significant. Most stove mfgs. recommend double-wall stove pipe for runs over 8'.

That is for parts only, doing the install myself. I agree that it's a lot of single wall. I asked about running 6' of single and then switching to double and he told me that "your not supposed to."

They've got a lot of experience, so I trust them. However, we're on a tight budget, hehe.

you can only run single or double wall stove pipe to the ceiling. Then you have to run Class A stove pipe or some fireplaces require 3 wall air cooled pipe. Either way for parts only it should be less then what you have listed. My set up with a 6 foot telescoping stove pipe and 20 foot of Class A chimney and it was $1200ish but I did the install myself.

Reactions: SweitzerWorks
Yeah, I was thinking of going about 10' single wall, and then about 6' of double wall for the bendy entering the ceiling box. I feel like I should be able to do this for under $1000 just not sure where/how.

Just use double wall for the entire run from stove to ceiling and then class a to the cap. Single wall is cheap for a reason!

Do you already have a hole going through the ceiling or do you need the thimble and chimney pipe going through the ceiling and out the roof. I did not think code would allow single wall pipe beyond the ceiling. So the whole single wall pipe for the entire system is confusing to me. The DuraVent triple wall pipe is more for from the ceiling to the chimney cap not from the stove to the ceiling. Its quite heavy compared to single or double wall and you would loose a lot of heating in your home that you would normally get off of the stove pipe.

I got the DuraVent triple wall for my install from HD. I decided on the pipe brand I would use first then searched for cheapest price. I got the through wall kit from some hardware store selling them on ebay that they were discontuing carrying it, was still the latest model you could buy. Got the chimney support from some other odd hardware store that came up on a google search, and the DuraVent triple wall pipe from HD, they had the full stainless steel 3 foot pipe for less then the galvanized one and about half the price of anywhere else. It actually showed up and was the stainless steel model to my surprise, months later I decided I needed 3 more feet and luckily ordered another one at the same price. The galvanized ones still have a stainless center, but I wanted it 100% stainless. From the stove to the wall (or ceiling in your case) went with standard duraplus single wall from HD, but I did not go 17 feet. Other then the single wall, which was cheapest at HD, the rest I probably got for 1/2 or less of the average selling price, just took a lot of googling and searching in the late spring and summer. There are better more expensive pipes, there are cheaper pipes, but the Duravent tripple wall was affordable, gets great reviews for the price and safety. Plus it is a major brand, in 5 years I will have no problems replacing any part of it with a match. The through the wall/ceiling kit and triple wall pipe to the chimney cap was by far the majority of the cost. The through the wall kit came with the supports, adapters, cap and most of the parts I needed. I wish I had my spread sheet for it but I think I did the full install 7 feet of single wall pipe, wall thimble and 12 feet of triple wall pipe and odds and ends for about $600.

That is for parts only, doing the install myself. I agree that it's a lot of single wall. I asked about running 6' of single and then switching to double and he told me that "your not supposed to."

They've got a lot of experience, so I trust them. However, we're on a tight budget, hehe.
That seems a bit high being that you can run so much of it in single wall. Single wall will give you more heat into the room than any triple or double wall. Also the cost of the double and triple wall elbows will increase the price a lot. If you go triple or double wall you won't be able to use 45* elbow the biggest elbow they make is around 30*.

I guess I'm just wondering whether 14' of single wall is too much for a small EPA stove like the Rainier. I feel like it needs to maintain some heat before leaving the building.

If your stove is in a position that can' be moved, then you will probably need to go with a telescoping 18"-30" black pipe, instead of the straight 2' section. Just for clarification there is single wall and Double wall Black pipe and then when going through the ceiling and above it would be Triple wall air cooled or Double wall Insulated pipe.

I guess I'm just wondering whether 14' of single wall is too much for a small EPA stove like the Rainier. I feel like it needs to maintain some heat before leaving the building.
Yes it would be. It may work of but nowhere near as well as it could. You heat with the stove not the pipe. You want doublewall nonventilated connector pipe in the room switching over to double wall insulated chimney through the roof.

Yes it would be. It may work of but nowhere near as well as it could. You heat with the stove not the pipe. You want doublewall nonventilated connector pipe in the room switching over to double wall insulated chimney through the roof.
I

Spend the money & do it right, just like bholler recommends. Single wall stovepipe & air-cooled triple wall above will be a mistake, even if "legal". You need to keep the system hot enough not to form creosote. I ran that kind of a lousy setup on a Fisher for over 30 yrs. = a perfect creosote creator & a setup for chimney fires. I repeat, Spend the money & do it right, just like bholler recommends.

Remember legal code is a minimum not a maximum for safety. The duravent tripple was insulated against the flue pipe and air cooled in the next chamber. I go through a wall where I made a fire proof insulated box for the thimble to also go through, over kill but very cheap since I was doing it myself. If I was going through an attic I would have gotten the straps to strap each joint together, not needed but overkill for me. They lock together very well, but once again I go overboard, just not overboard on the spending side. Safety was 100% top priority for me, I want to sleep peacefully with the stove running.

Remember legal code is a minimum not a maximum for safety. The duravent tripple was insulated against the flue pipe and air cooled in the next chamber. I go through a wall where I made a fire proof insulated box for the thimble to also go through, over kill but very cheap since I was doing it myself. If I was going through an attic I would have gotten the straps to strap each joint together, not needed but overkill for me. They lock together very well, but once again I go overboard, just not overboard on the spending side. Safety was 100% top priority for me, I want to sleep peacefully with the stove running.
The triple wall is not as good as the double wall. It has half the insulation of the double wall stuff. That is why it is cheaper. I dont like it because it doesnt maintain internal temps as well. And it is a larger diameter than the double wall.

The triple wall is not as good as the double wall. It has half the insulation of the double wall stuff. That is why it is cheaper. I dont like it because it doesnt maintain internal temps as well. And it is a larger diameter than the double wall.
Not saying you're wrong and truly value your expertise you really know your chit. But when I was looking you do my install i compared all the triple wall and the duravent is one of the few if not only that has the air cooled exterior. It is also rated at a much higher internal temp for a longer period of time than any other pipe on the market. Also has some of the same and better clearances than other triple wall pipes. You discounted it as a lesser pipe but when comparing it to all the others it is far superior by it's specs. It is the largest exterior diameter but I'll trade that for safety superiority in materials. Could you elaborate on this for me and others?

I'm referring to the duraplus chimney pipe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not saying you're wrong and truly value your expertise you really know your chit. But when I was looking you do my install i compared all the triple wall and the duravent is one of the few if not only that has the air cooled exterior. It is also rated at a much higher internal temp for a longer period of time than any other pipe on the market. Also has some of the same and better clearances than other triple wall pipes. You discounted it as a lesser pipe but when comparing it to all the others it is far superior by it's specs. It is the largest exterior diameter but I'll trade that for safety superiority in materials. Could you elaborate on this for me and others?

I dont know where you are getting your info but it simply is not true. Duraplus is rated to the same temps as all other prefab class a ht chimneys. The difference is that it uses half the insulation of the double wall stuff. And it relys on that air cooling to keep the outside temps down. Unfortunatly it also lowers the internal temps as well. It is every bit as safe as the double wall insulated stuff (at least untill bugs or other critters make nests in that airspace) but it simply does not perform as well at all.

If you are comparing it to other triple wall pipe yes it is better because it is a high temp pipe unlike the other triplewalls on the market. But those others are not suitable for use with a stove so they dont enter into the equation

Reactions: Squisher

I am a lso curious what superior materials are used in duraplus over say ventis or excel chimneys.

I am a lso curious what superior materials are used in duraplus over say ventis or excel chimneys.
Sorry that was a typo it's supposed to be, I'll take safety superiority than materials. I was under the impression that the triple wall duraplus was rated at a higher temp for same period of time as others.

The information I was given is incorrect as the ul rating is the same for all the chimneys you listed and the duraplus.

I did an ungodly amount of research on these pipes and talked directly to several companies that deal in both types before I chose. Seemed as far as safety goes duraplus was the same as the others, some consider it safer in case of a fire, there are three walls to breach. All three walls do fit into each other at the joints. Yes it is larger. It is rated the same as double wall for heat. Mine will be fully boxed in to kind of like quadruple wall. I could not find any definitive saying the triple wall pipe WITH INSULATION is better or worse then double wall regarding maintaining flue temps. But it takes time to filter out all the data on triple wall that has two air pockets and no insulation at all. The other thing I found which duraplus had was a design that prevented the insulation from moving and ending up bunching up at the bottom, seems some double wall have that problem, so check on that no matter what type you get. Had I found data saying the double wall was better I would have gone that route, but my research was they are equal, so availability and cost and 3 walls to breach was my decision factor.

I would love to get more feedback on how much not as good, I can accept it might not be as good. Does it make a difference if you are in NC where it is not as cold, or in Maine where it is very cold, or how much you will use the stove. Will my fully boxed in duraplus do better being fully boxed in, will of course have a clean out door to the T and a vent to allow some air movement not not unlimited air.

I did an ungodly amount of research on these pipes and talked directly to several companies that deal in both types before I chose. Seemed as far as safety goes duraplus was the same as the others, some consider it safer in case of a fire, there are three walls to breach. All three walls do fit into each other at the joints. Yes it is larger. It is rated the same as double wall for heat. Mine will be fully boxed in to kind of like quadruple wall. I could not find any definitive saying the triple wall pipe WITH INSULATION is better or worse then double wall regarding maintaining flue temps. But it takes time to filter out all the data on triple wall that has two air pockets and no insulation at all. The other thing I found which duraplus had was a design that prevented the insulation from moving and ending up bunching up at the bottom, seems some double wall have that problem, so check on that no matter what type you get. Had I found data saying the double wall was better I would have gone that route, but my research was they are equal, so availability and cost and 3 walls to breach was my decision factor.

I would love to get more feedback on how much not as good, I can accept it might not be as good. Does it make a difference if you are in NC where it is not as cold, or in Maine where it is very cold, or how much you will use the stove. Will my fully boxed in duraplus do better being fully boxed in, will of course have a clean out door to the T and a vent to allow some air movement not not unlimited air.
I too did a ton of research and for the price the Duravent was the most logical. I was able to buy 3' stainless steel for $89 ea. locally and there wasn't another pipe that would come close to that price. I had to put up 2 chimneys so I was very price driven. But I refused to give up safety for price and peace of mind.