Water inside connector pipe and stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
I have 13.5' Duravent DVL double wall pipe connected to 14' of ICC Excel double wall chimney going through an Excel metal roof flashing with an Excel spark guard cap. When it rains hard I can hear water dripping down the pipe. It rained hard last night, I took the baffles out this morning, and they were wet and holding water . It's not a lot of water, just enough to worry about. Can enough rain come through the cap to cause this? I checked the ceiling box and it was dry. Haven't seen any water on the outside of the pipe. The chimney above the roof is too high and steep for me to get up there and inspect the seams, but I did seal them before the roofer installed it. Ideas? TIA

It is possible for wind driven rain to get under the chimney cap.

Reactions: BamaRama
Hard to tell without seeing the roof setup. A few drops from wind driven rain wouldn’t seem impossible, but enough to wet the baffles would seem like alot getting in through the cap from wind driven rain. I would bet it’s probably from the flashing/roof

Reactions: BamaRama
Wind driven rain does get under my "Regular" cap and drip down with some strong summer storms. In winter the fire stops this. Unfortunately that water is pretty corrosive so i'd suggest dry it out with a small fire.

I would bet it’s probably from the flashing/roof
Wouldn't that put the water in the ceiling box and on the outside of the pipe?

IMG_3139.jpgIMG_3140.jpg
Hard to tell without seeing the roof setup

Reactions: begreen
Looks like a nice install. If the water is inside the stove pipe then I suspect either condensation (if AC is on a lot) or wind-driven rain. Or both.