buying wood in bulk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Just seen an add for a 40' semi load of wood for $1000.00. 10" to 30" round and 8' to 40' long oak,maple,ash and elm. I've never had to buy wood so i was wondering if that was a good price. It's the first time i've seen it sold that way around here. He says all loads weigh between 42,000 and 44,000 pounds, thats wood weight. Good deal or not? JD

it will be in the neighborhood of 10 cords. So that wold depend on what wood is going for in your area.

With variable tree length, it's anybody's guess how many cord you actually get depending on how crooked and how it's loaded. There can be a lot of air in the load.

Assuming 8 foot wide and 8 foot tall, 40 x 8 x 8 = 20 cord but as said above probably closer to 10.

ok whats up 60 acres and you need that much wood?

There is a guy in my state that sells a similar quantity for around 1300. The best way to figure volume to cord dimmensions is by weight (as LLigetfa gave you a good link for) because that displaces the air. The problem with bulk after the general weight is determined is moisture content and how much of that weight you are buying is water. If you are paying $200.00 for one full cord in your area the bulk order you quote is not a bad deal (not really great either as your time is valuable too) but is still something that will not likely be of much use until next years heating season "IF" you process it now. There is another guy in my area that sells quality firewood cut to length, split and delivered cord firewood (3 cord minimum) for $400 and 6 cord of the same stuff for $750. He sells his wood green and in a "dump load" but after stacking his quoted quantity pans out with a little extra. I still have to wait for the wood to season just like you would but my only hands on is in stacking. I bought the smaller load to make sure I had wood and now I scrounge around for the rest I need. Look around for different sellers and call places that advertise a desire to "log" your property and see if they have or know a guy who processes tops for firewood. The price may not vary much from the quote you have but most of the work will already be done. Don't trust the guys verbatum but stack the wood and let him know how things turned out. If he is reputable he will make sure you are pleased because you are the best advertisement he can get and he wants the repeat sales he can get with you. Quality firewood suppliers can be hard to find so don't burn your bridges. What you think is a raw deal may actually be the best one going or you may have so many good dealers you'll break a sweat choosing. (we wish)

smokinj said:

Thinking of taking the easy way out ;)
Probably a little room to play with on that price but not out of line. I myself prefer free

If you have that much hedge you might be better off processing your own from your supply. Hedge is like "THE PREMIUM FIRE WOOD", the kind of stuff burners drool over.

Tony H said:
smokinj said:

Thinking of taking the easy way out ;)
Probably a little room to play with on that price but not out of line. I myself prefer free

thats not the eazy way its still logs eazy would be split wood

Just for reference i bought 60,000lbs(tree length) rockmaple and beech. It will stack about 9 cord, maybe 9 1/2ish. I'll tell you better in a week or so. Part of that variable is how tight you stack it. When buying tree length up here, we use the 5,000lb==1 cord. If he's saying 42/44,000 lbs your looking at about maybe 6 cord stacked? Wildly rough guess.
-
Got great people I know who sells tree length wood, BUT we all pay on the certified scale slip. Before he delivers, truck is weighed and immediatly after delivery, it's weighed. Prefer date/time stamps on the slip also. Removes some of the doubt.

LLigetfa said:
With variable tree length, it's anybody's guess how many cord you actually get depending on how crooked and how it's loaded. There can be a lot of air in the load.

Assuming 8 foot wide and 8 foot tall, 40 x 8 x 8 = 20 cord but as said above probably closer to 10.

I used an average of the weight of a green cord of the species of tree listed I got an average of 4,518 a cord.
I then divided the average weight of the load 42k-44k so I went with 43,000 by the 4,518 and got 9.52

flyingcow said:
When buying tree length up here, we use the 5,000lb==1 cord. If he's saying 42/44,000 lbs your looking at about maybe 6 cord stacked? Wildly rough guess.

Using your math of 5,000 .lbs = 1 cord then isn't it slightly over 8 cords? 40,000/ 5,000 = 8 right?

peterc38 said:
flyingcow said:
When buying tree length up here, we use the 5,000lb==1 cord. If he's saying 42/44,000 lbs your looking at about maybe 6 cord stacked? Wildly rough guess.

Using your math of 5,000 .lbs = 1 cord then isn't it slightly over 8 cords? 40,000/ 5,000 = 8 right?

Well, weighted cord= 5,000lbs. Stacked cord and weighted cord are different. If that makes sense. I was just ballparking 6 cord.
-
That's what all the mills use for base( 5,000lb=cord, on hardwood) Very few mills actually scale(measure with a stick) a load anymore. I know they use a different figure for softwoods, it's not 5,000lbs. Just how it's done up here.

NO, I'm not buying any, like i said its the first time i've seen it sold that way around here, didn't know if it was a good deal or not, cords go for $125 to $200 for hardwoods around here. All ya see is pickup loads and cords, it was odd to see it sold that way. I'm good on my wood through 2014-2015 burning year, and more down ready to split, my wood is always at least 4-5 years old.

there are a few logging outfits up here that sell firewood in 8 foot lengths and require a ten cord min. I think this is the same as your guys. I think they prefer to handle the wood as little as possible. And since it is as cheap as 85$ a cord some people don't mind the extra work. Also some of the outdoor boilers can handle the longer logs.

Jon

Out here in Oregon you can pick a self loader log truck of Madrone for $600-800 which will eqate to 6-8 cords... I haven't done this myself but have know a few friends that have purchase wood this way. I'm thinking of doing this next spring as I don't want to stip all the trees on my property.

techieguy said:
Out here in Oregon you can pick a self loader log truck of Madrone for $600-800 which will eqate to 6-8 cords... I haven't done this myself but have know a few friends that have purchase wood this way. I'm thinking of doing this next spring as I don't want to stip all the trees on my property.

I'm like you on wood purchasing. On a 40 acre farm I have about 10 that is wooded/swamp. I basically limit my home base wood harvesting to dead wood or down. I like trees and don't want a clear cut for a view.

Status
Not open for further replies.