By hand…..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
Wet Oak, 3 foot plus rounds, 2 wedges gettin er dunn!

816251E4-1AC1-4F17-A7DE-933CBCF03A4C.jpeg

I’d skip the wedges and shank I’d the sides. But it doesn’t matter how you split it. It burns the same :)

Indeed, I always whack off 2-3" thick slabs from the sides first. Then it's much easier to split the rest (in half, if you wish). No wedges needed that way.

Did some 4' dia pieces that way

But indeed, whatever you like best; it'll dry regardless of how it was split.

Yeah I was just trying to get the wood in the truck, so I split the rounds into 1/4 so I was just able to get them in the bed of the truck. I split about 8 of those today in the hot sun and yes I split off the sides and then work in. Only you guys can imagine the smell!! Omg it is heavenly and the way the fresh grain looks I feel like if I died in a pile of fresh split oak, there are worse ways to go !!!

Yeah I was just trying to get the wood in the truck, so I split the rounds into 1/4 so I was just able to get them in the bed of the truck. I split about 8 of those today in the hot sun and yes I split off the sides and then work in. Only you guys can imagine the smell!! Omg it is heavenly and the way the fresh grain looks I feel like if I died in a pile of fresh split oak, there are worse ways to go !!!
9BF8714E-455F-44E9-B444-6D3FC2937D32.jpeg

Red oak is my favorite smelling firewood. Cherry is my second favorite.

My wife calls me weird when she sees me out there smelling firewood :)

Reactions: Split and Bobbob
Beautiful! I love to bust some oak with my Fiskars. Love the way it smells.
Love to burn it also.