Bypass valve function question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

br0822

Nov 30, 2022
MI
Hello - Bought a home with an outdoor Maxim pellet stove last spring. The system has a Taco valve with the numbers 561-5 stamped in the brass. Everything worked fine last year - this year I had the furnace replaced and noticed that the furnace installers cut the wire to this Taco valve and left it disconnected - but the boiler still seems to heat the house... Trying to understand what this valve is for and if it should be wired back up (assume yes - just trying to understand this function before I call the HVAC installers). Googling the numbers I keep seeing "normally closed" would this mean that in normal operation no water should flow to the heat exchanger? If thats the case... why do I still get heat?

Feeling all 3 pipes from this valve and all seem to be hot?

Below is a picture of the valve under the house. The unit is maybe 15 feet from the heat exchanger and the boiler is maybe 150 feet away outdoors.

IMG_4636.jpeg

I have a question about a fire star controller on a maxim pellet corn boiler my boilers controller flashes a 6 in the right corner and a 6 in the left corner then when everything is flashing the auger to the fire box turns continuisly