C & C Smith The wood pellet co.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitfield30

Oct 31, 2008
MetroWest Boston, MA
Hello all, I am in a bind this season. I have only used C&C;Smith pellets for my Whitfield Profile 30 since I first purchased it 8 years ago. Unfortunately, my shed leaked over the summer and 2 1/2 tons turned into sawdust. My local dealer isn't getting more c&c;until February. Help, I need some recommendations from those of you who use the Whitfield stove. This machine works great, but is very selective of it's pellets. I have tried 5 bags of the following:

NEWP Green Supreme: Pros:Lots of heat, easy to come by. Cons:Fluffy ash, heavy sooting on the glass.
NEWP Red letters" Same as NEWP Green but a little less heat
Pennington: Clinkers and low heat

Marketing and manufacturers, ltd. made in Swansea, MA [BTW don't buy from the guy in Peabody. I think he repacked my ten and took a pound or two from each bag, live and learn.] I haven't tried yet.

My next two to try are LG granules or Lignetics. Suggests please!

Whitfield30 said:
Hello all, I am in a bind this season. I have only used C&C;Smith pellets for my Whitfield Profile 30 since I first purchased it 8 years ago. Unfortunately, my shed leaked over the summer and 2 1/2 tons turned into sawdust. My local dealer isn't getting more c&c;until February. Help, I need some recommendations from those of you who use the Whitfield stove. This machine works great, but is very selective of it's pellets. I have tried 5 bags of the following:

NEWP Green Supreme: Pros:Lots of heat, easy to come by. Cons:Fluffy ash, heavy sooting on the glass.
NEWP Red letters" Same as NEWP Green but a little less heat
Pennington: Clinkers and low heat

Marketing and manufacturers, ltd. made in Swansea, MA [BTW don't buy from the guy in Peabody. I think he repacked my ten and took a pound or two from each bag, live and learn.] I haven't tried yet.

I am new at this myself, but my dealer highly suggested LG granules and I stocked up with 3 tons. I have burned through about 10 bags and have had no problems at all. They produce good heat, very little ash and no clinkers.

Whitfield30 said:

I think you'll like the Lignetics. I burned about 20 bags of the hardwood for the first time in my stove, and then switched to the NEWP Red letter hardwood, and I see a LOT more ash w/ the NEWP, and it's "clumpier"...sits in the firepot, where the Lignetics blew right out and the firepot stayed nice & clean.

Try a couple bags of each before purchasing large quantities.
Too many pissed off people lately who didn't try a brand
first and are stuck with a ton or more of chitty pellets.
Your stove will thank you!

Newbie here, in fact this is my first post! Purchased an Enviro Empress in April and have 3 tons of NEWP, red lettering. Was fairly happy with this pellet until I just purchased 10 bags of Lignetics. What a difference in heat output, Lignetics much hotter than the NEWP I have. Wished I had purchased 3 tons of Lignetics than the NEWP.

Oh well, live and learn. still okay with my NEWP, but will purchase Lignetics for next season.

Thanks to all whom replied. I completely agree with Zeta. If you're unfamiliar with a particular brand try a few bags. In my case, I try 5. I stopped into my local feed and grain store and picked up a few lignetics and lg granules. At 7.49 for lignetics and 7.00 for the lg's it's worth the extra effort of trying a few before getting disappointed with 2 tons. I'll keep you all informed with my findings.

The LG Granules are hottest pellets I've tested. Consistant pellet size, I've set my vent to low, auger to low, adjusted the dampener to near closed and the room (20x15) thermostat still reads 83 degrees. My wife thinks they smell better than other brands I've tried, but to me they smell like plywood. Low ash, and a near perfectly clean window. The LG Granules are the clear winner. Now if only I can find someone in Massachusetts who will sell them for less than 350/ton.

Go with LG!

I purchased my Lignetics a couple weeks ago at a Tractor Supply in Scarborough, ME. I'm in sales and was traveling back to Cape Ann and was able to load 10 bags in my car, @ $5.99 a bag. They give a minimal discount on a ton, I think around $291.

I believe there are probably some locations in Western MA,

countk said:
......Oh well, live and learn. still okay with my NEWP, but will purchase Lignetics for next season.

I agree....I will be on the lookout for Lignetics ONLY (if possible). Of the 4 different brands I've tried so far, the Lignetics are FAR & AWAY the best pellets. Great heat, very low ash, no clinkers, very little fines. They will be my goto pellet next year if I can find them around here. Got 2 tons this year from TSC, and a True Value hardware.

If I only knew then, what I know now....I could have had as many tons of the Lignetics from the True Value as I wanted, at $239/ton.
:shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.