California: The Great Exodus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
I found this interesting, but not surprising. It's been known for a long time that California is an expensive place to live, businesses are also finding the same and people and businesses are leaving.

Next door neighbors just put their house on the market. They've moved to CA. Same from my SIL. Their close friends are in CA right now looking around at houses and living there.

I see the transplants fairly frequently in the store. They hand me a new ID driver license, and mark their place of birth as CA. In conversation, one give away is how they pronounce their a's, as in Nevahdah vs Nevada. Twenty or thirty years ago I asked a woman how she like growing up in southern California. She reacted as if I was a stalker as this was our first conversation.

I think it really depends on what stage of life a person is at. Being younger I know I would never be able to afford a house in most places in California. Last I heard the average house in San Francisco was over a million. Those starting out need high paying jobs to afford that, and if companies are moving out those jobs would become more scarce.

We see something similar here. The greater Vancouver area is an expensive place to live, we have lots from that area move up here for higher wages and lower cost of living, but most don't last. We had a young couple move in 2 doors down, he a dentist, she a dental hygenist. At a block party in July she asked what month we got snow, December or January. We laughed and replied, expect continual snow on the ground from Halloween to Easter. Her jaw just about hit the dirt. They moved back home about mid-November.

I see the transplants fairly frequently in the store. They hand me a new ID driver license, and mark their place of birth as CA. In conversation, one give away is how they pronounce their a's, as in Nevahdah vs Nevada. Twenty or thirty years ago I asked a woman how she like growing up in southern California. She reacted as if I was a stalker as this was our first conversation.

If I ever smarten up and move east over the pass, I’ll be sure to keep saying Nevada with an a like splat. Got to blend in. From my last visit it seems like my blue eyes help.