Calling all heat hogs - consumption check time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
DonD said:
I'm on bag 106 with 59 left. Shouldn't have any problem making it through the season. In fact I hope it gets/stays cold so I use'em up so I don't have to store them all summer. No oil used except for hot water.

I got the CTPellet 'Specials' email. I think I'll pass...

Don, One of the rules is to always share the deals you find! So if you found something better you "must" share!

Well not really a rule, But it should be. At least in the pellet pig club anyways! :cheese:

Nah, I didn't find anything better yet. All I'm sayin' is that the prices for Turman and Barefoot are only $10 cheaper than last year when I bought late in the year (Sept). Not worth it to me to commit this early in the year. If I were interested in the Powerhouse pellets I might feel differently.

DonD said:
j-takeman said:
DonD said:
I'm on bag 106 with 59 left. Shouldn't have any problem making it through the season. In fact I hope it gets/stays cold so I use'em up so I don't have to store them all summer. No oil used except for hot water.

I got the CTPellet 'Specials' email. I think I'll pass...

Don, One of the rules is to always share the deals you find! So if you found something better you "must" share!

Well not really a rule, But it should be. At least in the pellet pig club anyways! :cheese:

Nah, I didn't find anything better yet. All I'm sayin' is that the prices for Turman and Barefoot are only $10 cheaper than last year when I bought late in the year (Sept). Not worth it to me to commit this early in the year. If I were interested in the Powerhouse pellets I might feel differently.

You did notice the extra ten on some brands if you take them now? Seems they want to clean house some. This warm weather has stifled pellet sales to a degree. I expect we'll see others passing on some savings to clean house a little.

I'm stuffed with cold weather pills, So I'm only looking for "shoulders" to save a nickle on. Not many $199 deals out there. TSC is closest with $214/ton. Box-stores have risen but I haven't actually went to see what and how much yet. Agway had McFeeters for $199/ton but they didn't tickle my fancy! PowerHouse did pretty well, above average and at shoulder prices even! ;-)

200 bags so far. 2 tons somersets,1 ton Isabella's (junk if you ask me)1 ton greenways in 2 stoves
Wont be long now till spring.

Bag 58 for me went in today. Burned probably 3/4 cord of firewood also. House stays around 68 or so. Furnace only ran a few times when it was warm enough out that a fire would have been overkill. I've got somewhere around 2 tons left. Less money I have to spend next season.

210 bags so far. But I didn't get my auger cover on the M55 until January since then I'm not chewing through near as many. Come on Spring!!!

j-takeman said:
newf lover said:
Bag number 122 will go in today. That's with husband turning on the stove when the temp dips below 70! Last year, we were at 192 on this date. Will likely have a full ton left over, but will buy 4 tons again this year. Hopefully they'll be some early buy prices in April.

Did you get you CTPellet email yet? :cheese:

Not yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Bag number 164 is in the on deck circle. Dexter and I figured I'd Burn around 3.5 to 4 tons. May have to go pellet hunting......in dexters pellet stash!!!! ;-P

barnyard840x said:
Bag number 164 is in the on deck circle. Dexter and I figured I'd Burn around 3.5 to 4 tons. May have to go pellet hunting......in dexters pellet stash!!!! ;-P
Get an ignitor for that stove. $50 now will save you more than that in pellets the 1st year!?!?!?

Best leave my stash alone Son.... ;-P.

Im not at 2 ton yet. Heating about twice the space. (Also used almost 3 cord of wood :lol: ) Thats not cheating, thats being Smart.

Still got a good stash and looking for more

(TSC in Amherst has Greenways, pretty good pellet, you might want to call and price them tomorrow)

143 so far this season. Looking for the best deal on a 26 ton delivery. Last few went with NEWP. Not sure what to do yet.

Right around bag 135 for me. Should finish the season using 3.5 tons. Time to make a few calls to see if the pellets I want are in stock and start building my supply for next season

Dr.Faustus said:
i have no idea how many bags of pellets i used. how do you keep track? tally marks on a list? or do you open 1 ton at a time and just figure it out be how many bags you have left? i usually open all my pellets at delivery time, so i can restack them 2 tons high. i fit more in the garage that way. i've fit 16 tons in 1 side of the 2 car garage. nowhere near that now but i have plenty to finish off this season, and 4 tons towards next years stash.

I use a calendar that I have hung by my stove and wright down how many bags I put in each day. Its real easy .

Started with 5 ton, as of March broke into my fourth ton. I have burned about 160 bags of AWF.

First year with the Enviro Max-M, great stove. The house never dropped below 70 & its 34 &

snowing today, the house is 73. Mama likes it warm! Jay was right, the stove does chew up

pellets, but who cares when you are warm.

210 bags so far, heating 1700square foot 2 floor cape.

I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track. Bags at start of year - bags remaining- bags burned. Glad to share the spread sheet if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

Also track oil savings when comparing BPS (before Pellet Stove) to after. Thus far this heating season Sept. to now, I have only had to file the oil tank once with 198 gallons. I have had the stove since 2008 and BPS I was using 1100 gallons of oil per heating season Sept- May now SPS (since Pellet Stove) I have been averaging 321 gallons of oil per heating season. At today's oil pricing, after you net out the cost of the pellets, I am saving about $1,500 per heating season or since 2008 I have saved about $6,000. Paid $4,500 for my stove installed. So ROI for me has been about 3 1/2-4years.

I know my wife makes fun of me too.....but I did this to save money...sorry not to save the earth.

Right around 200 bags for us.
Filled the oil tank in sept. $794.00. Gauge was at 3/4 when 1st stove was installed.
Used the oil furnace over thanksgiving weekend as we were away, have run it a couple more times while cleaning the pellet eaters.
The oil gauge is still at the 3/4 mark. Woo-hooo!!!! Would have been on at least the third tank of oil by now, if not fourth.
The house is warmer than it has ever been.
Loving it!
On that note.....thanks to EVERYONE here.

On bag # 275 give or take a few. Extrapolating that to a harsher winter, I'm glad I burn zero propane now!

My sig says it all..

Still have 2 tons of Wood Pellet Co. left in the garage...

I`m on about bag#130 but haven`t bought oil since 02 dec and the tank is over 1/2 full. Most of the oil used so far was for hot water. I`m trying to limit my yearly oil consumption to no more than 300 gals. Probably go thru near 400 bags of pellets but the savings will be quite obvious.

bag 150 just went in the hopper.burning a mix of green team and trebio.my stove is struggling with these trebios if i burn them solo.after 2 days my liner fills with ash but the mix seems to be working out better.

Cleaned both stoves today (Full clean on Quad and just emptied the ash pan on Fahrenheit). Filled both up. 1.5 bags topped off the Quad and 2 bags topped off the Furnace. Finally hit 100 today. It will take almost 3-5 days before I need to add more, as warmer temps are coming this week again. So I will be rotating the duties between the two stoves.

30° outside and snowing pretty good. Had the pellet stoves off since noon. Still 70° in here. Although the wood eater is crankin in the basement. Keeping the heat loss to a minimum.

195 so far for 2 stoves heating 2900 sq ft. Have 4.7 tons in the pig pen, equal mix of FU, Vermont, LaCrete and Trebio. Need to mix the Trebios with something else or clean stoves every 48hrs. Great price but horrible burn; lots of clinkers.

What good timing, I just updated my sig :)

33 bags left, sig is accurate give or take a few I missed in my monthly count of empty bags.

I have no idea how late in the year I'll be burning, this is my first season. It was a mild winter, and it looks like 3 tons was just about right on the money for this year.

I think in a normal winter, I'd want to have 4 tons on hand.

76brian said:
What good timing, I just updated my sig :)

33 bags left, sig is accurate give or take a few I missed in my monthly count of empty bags.

I have no idea how late in the year I'll be burning, this is my first season. It was a mild winter, and it looks like 3 tons was just about right on the money for this year.

I think in a normal winter, I'd want to have 4 tons on hand.

Febuary 31st???? Only 29 days this year. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.