Camping and cooking with some heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What kind of cooking stove are you envisioning? How much weight are you comfortable moving around?

How many are you cooking for?

Lodge makes a sportsmans grill....you could use wood I assume?

Depends on what you mean.... when I think of a wood fired stove for camping, I think of this...

P6280497.JPG
P6280498.JPG

For backpacking and motorcycle camping, it was great. It only boils water, though.

My Backcountey boiler got squashed when my motorcycle fell on it, and the company is out of business.

The original wood fired chimney kettle is the Kelly Kettle.

The Kelly is much larger and heavier. I have one but I don't really use it. I find that if I am car camping I want to do more than just boil water, so we bring a small propane stove.

The closest thing I know of to the Backcountry Boiler that still exists is the mKettle. It is a little heavier, but maybe more robust. Not sure if it would survive a motorcycle smash, though. I have soft bags on mine.

If you need more than that, I like Bill's suggestion of the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. I have often thought that would be a nice thing to have... but I don't like clutter so I never bought one.

How about a metal rocket stove? Search it on google and you'll find a lot of examples. Not sure if there is a place to buy them from. If you have a local metal shop, it's probably something extremely simple they could make up for you. I have been keeping my eye out for some scrap tubing to make one myself.

OP needs to state how many he's cooking for, if he's hiking in or car camping, and what he wants to cook.

For me and the wife, I hike in with one or two of these:

I have an original in stainless and a Titanium FireAnt. Mikhail is the inventor of this style and these are the original, so it's worth buying one of these instead of the myriad of Chinese knockoffs on Amazon.

OP needs to state how many he's cooking for, if he's hiking in or car camping, and what he wants to cook.

For me and the wife, I hike in with one or two of these:

I have an original in stainless and a Titanium FireAnt. Mikhail is the inventor of this style and these are the original, so it's worth buying one of these instead of the myriad of Chinese knockoffs on Amazon.

How many are you cooking for?
I'll be cooking for 2-4 people

I have seen small stoves that you can use in a tent. You could also cook on it. It comes with a roll up chimney, I guess they are fairly safe, with the right tent.