Can a firebox be too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmev13

Jul 20, 2019
Long Island, Ny
We are in a the process of having a new masonry chimney and firebox installed. The width of the firebox is 48” the height is 34”. I’m trying to plan a few years out when eventually we will want to install a wood burning insert. This might be a silly question but can a firebox ever be too big for an insert? Any opinions (changes) on the dimensions of the firebox? As of right now, I believe I can still make changes to the dimensions of the firebox. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We are in a the process of having a new masonry chimney and firebox installed. The width of the firebox is 48” the height is 34”. I’m trying to plan a few years out when eventually we will want to install a wood burning insert. This might be a silly question but can a firebox ever be too big for an insert? Any opinions (changes) on the dimensions of the firebox? As of right now, I believe I can still make changes to the dimensions of the firebox. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Yes an insert will look rediculous in a firebox that big

Just be careful the dimensions and shape of the firebox. It needs to have the correct ratio's. My father used to say there were more fireplaces that didn't work than ones that did.

Reactions: jmb6420
Just be careful the dimensions and shape of the firebox. It needs to have the correct ratio's. My father used to say there were more fireplaces that didn't work than ones that did.
That is very true. Many don't work at all and most don't work well

Ok now I’m worried it’s too big!! The room it’s going in 18 x 30. And it’s going in the middle of the 30 ft wall. Where can I do some research on the proper ratios? The last thing I want to do I spend money on something that’s not going to work!!

Ok now I’m worried it’s too big!! The room it’s going in 18 x 30. And it’s going in the middle of the 30 ft wall. Where can I do some research on the proper ratios? The last thing I want to do I spend money on something that’s not going to work!!
Who is designing the fireplace? The ratio is easy you need to maintain a 10 to 1 ratio. But there is a whole lot more to making a fireplace work properly.

I thought the same as Highbeam. Could be nice to put a stove in.

Who is designing the fireplace? The ratio is easy you need to maintain a 10 to 1 ratio. But there is a whole lot more to making a fireplace work properly.
The mason asked what size firebox I wanted. He asked me if I wanted a rumford firebox, 42” wide or 48” wide fire box. I thought the rumford would be too small for the wall and an insert down the road. I went with 48” width only because it was going on a 30ft long by 16ft tall wall and was looking for a nice focal point but functional fireplace. Then I started thinking about the insert and if that would work with a 48” wide firebox and now I know it would look silly and probably something I wouldn’t want. When you say 10 to 1 ratio what does actually mean? Again I apologize for all the questions. Just trying to learn

Why is a masonry fireplace being installed if the intent is to put in an insert? There are less expensive and better solutions to wood heat.

Reactions: Highbeam
Why is a masonry fireplace being installed if the intent is to put in an insert? There are less expensive and better solutions to wood heat.

Respectfully, I second this.

Have your mason build you a beautiful hearth and stone wall. Then set a nice looking freestanding stove in front of it. Skip the masonry chimney and just go Class A.

Reactions: Highbeam
I personally like the look of a real fireplace. Just something about sitting around an “open” fire with friends and family. Like you said an insert draws my attention for heating purposes and probably won’t happen for years down the road. I just want to have the option there if and when we decide to install one.

A compromise route that kills two birds with one stone is to install an efficient, Zero Clearance EPA fireplace with a masonry facade. This provides the look of an elegant fireplace with an efficient, clean performance.

Reactions: dmev13
I don’t like masonry chimneys/fireplaces but I can agree with the joy of sitting in front of an actual open fireplace while being inside a house.

Do those EPA Zero clearance fireplaces allow open door fire burning?

That is very true. Many don't work at all and most don't work well
Why back in the day (George Washington's time, there was a fireplace at each end of a room... So the occupants would not freeze their behind's off..... ;lol

I don’t like masonry chimneys/fireplaces but I can agree with the joy of sitting in front of an actual open fireplace while being inside a house.

Do those EPA Zero clearance fireplaces allow open door fire burning?
Some do, with a screen.

Why back in the day (George Washington's time, there was a fireplace at each end of a room... So the occupants would not freeze their behind's off..... ;lol
Because they had no other option. And they still.froze their behinds off

I would think it would be far more efficient and inexpensive to install a wood burning stove from day one because you mention doing it eventually down the road. Something like a soapstone stove or PE Alderlea T6 cast iron stove would look beautiful and really throw lots of heat. For the look and atmosphere both can be used with screens as well .

Because they had no other option. And they still.froze their behinds off
They sometimes had another fireplace in the dugout basement. That is where they lived during the bitter cold months. i saw this in an old family home back in upper NY. This was pre-Revolutionary War.

Last edited:
I asked the interpreter about winter house temperature while in the Towne House at Old Sturbridge Village (MA).

I was told that the temperature was a bit above freezing, and that the entire family would move to a room on the first floor for the coldest winter months. She said that she would wear multiple petticoats for layers during the winter.