Can anybody recommend a hookaroon (not pickaroon)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Why do I feel like this is a trick question? :confused:

Reactions: TreePointer
Sorry, can't help ya, I have a sappie

I found what i was thinking of.
https://www.labonville.com/Hook-A-Roon-With-28-Hardwood-Handle-Replaceable-Tip--173_p_497.html
173l.jpg

???

I can understand the "pointy tip" distinction between a cant hook and peavey, but I've never seen a packaroon or a hookaroon without a pointy tip.

Do you mean a replaceable tip?

Look at the link. The tip is not pointy. It is replaceable. One reviewer said something about winter and summer tips but the current ad doesn't mention differences.

I had one like in the picture, but sawed mostly through the handle, duh, and thought I'd just get another one instead of finding a replacement handle that fits. Can't find it locally anymore. Labonville wants 16 bucks to ship-I guess I'm getting used to free shipping on other stuff.

From Wikipedia...

A pickaroon (or picaroon) is a wood-handled (may be other materials also), metal-topped log handling tool.[1] It is distinguished from a pike pole by having a shorter handle, no metal point, and an opposite curve to its hook (toward the handle rather than away); and from both a cant hook and peavey by having a fixed hook facing its handle rather than a pivoting one facing away.

A pickaroon with a down-turned point on its hook is known as a sappie or hookaroon;[2] one with an axe blade opposite its hook an axaroon, obviating the need to carry two tools to manage logs.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
From Wikipedia...

A pickaroon (or picaroon) is a wood-handled (may be other materials also), metal-topped log handling tool.[1] It is distinguished from a pike pole by having a shorter handle, no metal point, and an opposite curve to its hook (toward the handle rather than away); and from both a cant hook and peavey by having a fixed hook facing its handle rather than a pivoting one facing away.

A pickaroon with a down-turned point on its hook is known as a sappie or hookaroon;[2] one with an axe blade opposite its hook an axaroon, obviating the need to carry two tools to manage logs.

I'm a fan of Wikipedia, but their entry on this topic is pretty weak as the descriptions are not very helpful. More proof is that there isn't a page for hookaroon, for contrast.

I'm a fan of Wikipedia, but their entry on this topic is pretty weak as the descriptions are not very helpful. More proof is that there isn't a page for hookaroon, for contrast.

I cant find a definite answer on what a hookaroon is. That wiki page is about all I could find on the differences. Peavey website is no help either, they just say that pickaroons are called hookaroons in some places.
http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/1993/pickeroons/1/

Last edited:
Bingo.

(That's why the early posts in this discussion thought it was a trick question or troll bait.)

So it's all about location, location, location. And following Wiki logic it appears the OP has picked up a nice pickarooon.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
It's not. Unless there's a pointy tip which I don't see.

Even according to the questionable distinction made in the Wikipedia article, a hookaroon is a type of pickaroon. In other words, according to the Wikipedia article, all hookaroons are pickaroons. Anyways, congrats on your new pickaroon.

Personally, I've seen the terms used completely interchangeably.