Log Ox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Duds13

Sep 16, 2023
NY
Got one as a Christmas gift, man this thing is awesome. WAYYYYYY better than the pickaroons I have. Highly recommended! I only have the Hauler that is in the link below but you can add extension to it to make it a full peavey.

Looks like an excellent product. As we get older one see's the importance of working smarter not harder. Never used tools like that growing up but now at 73 my back and joints remind me. The old saying (Stupid is supposed hurt) came about from experience. Use it often and wisely.

Looks like an excellent product. As we get older one see's the importance of working smarter not harder. Never used tools like that growing up but now at 73 my back and joints remind me. The old saying (Stupid is supposed hurt) came about from experience. Use it often and wisely.
It's very well built and definitely a back saver!

I got the whole forestry set. Haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Seems to be well built. The pickaroon has a blunt tip, so it's a bit harder to stick it in hardwood rounds.

Reactions: Duds13
I got the whole forestry set. Haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Seems to be well built. The pickaroon has a blunt tip, so it's a bit harder to stick it in hardwood rounds.
grindr sharp

Reactions: bigealta
I bought a LogOx a few weeks ago. Seems like a sturdy, flexible, well made tool. I like it. The Fiskars hookaroon is not as strong and is less flexible, but for the one thing that it does I find the lighter tool less tiring to use.

Reactions: Duds13
Check out the video. They made a number of improvements to the latest version. I think the length of the handle is still a little short. The demo is on 8" logs, so it not hard lifting them.

I'll buck the trend and say, I don't get it. Instead of carrying a 15 lb. round of birch, this lady is now carrying a 15 lb. round of birch plus a 7 lb. tool = 22 lb. What's the point? Seems easier to just pick up individual rounds, and ditch the extra weight of the tool.

1704217522637.png

Instead of supporting the round with her bicep, the weight is primarily on her stronger back muscles.

Understood, and the point about avoiding bending could be a huge advantage to some with specific mobility issues. But for the average wood burner, do either of those factors make up for increasing the total load by that much?

I can see the point about targeting specific muscle groups, if you're lifting much heavier rounds. But for some reason they chose to demonstrate it on a very small round for which the tool represents a very significant fractional increase in total lifted weight. Then again, when I want to carry a heavy round, I find holding it close to my chest or hip, rather than off to the side, creates much less back strain.

I guess I was just picking up on the goofy marketing photo, more than anything else. It's almost like demonstrating the usefulness of a hand truck, by showing a picture of someone wheeling their empty cereal bowl from the kitchen table to the dishwasher. Sure, it can do that, but would you really want it for that specific purpose?

I have one, and honestly I hardly ever use it. I was really excited to get it at first, but it's heavy. It's very well built, but too clunky and heavy for me. The only thing I use it for is the cant hook sometimes to roll over logs, and seldom to prop a log up to cut it. Honestly it's one of the few tools I regret buying.

I got one several years ago and love the IDEA of it. When I use it, I am glad that I did. It does reduce bending, lifting with back and fatigue. Even though the carrier itself is heavy, I believe that the theoretical advantages and benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

With that said, worth the price? Maybe. Yes, if you use it habitually.

Ultimately, I have found that using my pickeroon is more efficient and useful grabbing, moving and lifting average size rounds to the splitter. Also much lighter than the Logox.

Reactions: all night moe
Ultimately, I have found that using my pickeroon is more efficient and useful grabbing, moving and lifting average size rounds to the splitter. Also much lighter than the Logox.
I also find that a pickaroon (a Fiskars hookaroon) is my most-often-used tool. I bought a LogOx mostly for use as a peavey and timerjack. It works well for that, and can handle large, heavy logs.

FIskars also makes the "WoodXpert Log Tong" - a shorter but much lighter tool for lifting than the LogOx.

I spent some time in the woods back when we still cut 4 ft. softwood pulp and have always appreciated a good pulp hook. Lately I’ve been wanting to get a pickaroon to go along with my pulp hook. The pulp hook does a good job of lifting and swinging a piece of firewood one handed but the pickaroon would mean less bending. The hook is better for in close work like from one handing it from wheelbarrow to a stack. The right overall shape and tip is what makes a good pulp hook. This tip works very well. 47812237-9B68-496C-9044-285BF1ACF63C.jpeg

I'll buck the trend and say, I don't get it. Instead of carrying a 15 lb. round of birch, this lady is now carrying a 15 lb. round of birch plus a 7 lb. tool = 22 lb. What's the point? Seems easier to just pick up individual rounds, and ditch the extra weight of the tool...
...(photo of woman doing the lopsided log carry)
Agree with bucking the trend. A pair of log round carrying handles balances the load and allows me to carry heavy rounds without knocking my back out of whack. These started out as one of those cheap versions with the hooks crimped into a hose. They were ok for a season until the hooks started twisting inside the crimp. (Out came the welder and reused just the hooks along with some scrap metal.)
20190831_090002.jpg

Agree with bucking the trend. A pair of log round carrying handles balances the load and allows me to carry heavy rounds without knocking my back out of whack. These started out as one of those cheap versions with the hooks crimped into a hose. They were ok for a season until the hooks started twisting inside the crimp. (Out came the welder and reused just the hooks along with some scrap metal.)
View attachment 322188
Now that's a tool I can understand. 1. You're balanced by always carrying in pairs, 2. the tool looks light but strong, and 3. you're actually carrying rounds of a size and weight that is more convenient with the tool than without.

Now that's a tool I can understand. 1. You're balanced by always carrying in pairs, 2. the tool looks light but strong, and 3. you're actually carrying rounds of a size and weight that is more convenient with the tool than without.
Not sure why you are hung up on one photo of an older woman carrying a smaller round.

View attachment 322188
how do you set the hooks with those? Does the weight of the log do it?

how do you set the hooks with those? Does the weight of the log do it?
Yep. Hooks are fairly sharp and the weight of the log makes them bite in to wood. Obviously, just dropping them over the log opens them up to the right length. Lifting is more like doing lunges with dumbbells rather than bending and picking.

Okay, interesting. I might try those. What brand do you have?