Can anyone I.D. this splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2007
North Jersey Sticks
Scored this splitter over the summer for free. All I can tell is the engine is a 1978 by the engine code#. Works fine except cylinder leaks like a pig. Can anyone identify it? Make/ model. Thanks.

Attachments

• splitter1.JPG
    splitter1.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 513
Sorry, can't i.d. that one, looks homemade to me. Take the cylinder off and have a reputable shop repair it (probably needs a seal kit). Doesn't matter who made it, just have the cylinder fixed and put her to work!

I agree it looks homemade to me, and good luck having the cylinder worked on. I took a cylinder in to a local yokel years back and he had it for 3 months and come to find out, he never touched it. Said he couldn't find time or parts. Don't remember which.

Shipper

Too bad you aren't around this area. There is a great small hydraulics shop here that would fix the cylinder in a heartbeat. I found it by accident. I was driving down a side street one day and glanced at their sign. Under the shop name it said "A Great Place To Take A Leak".

I ran into the curb laughing and I take everything there since then.

They'll probably want to hone the piston while they have it apart. It might be cheaper to buy a new one (cylinder), depending.

Yes the splitter is homemade but it looks well built. If you take the cylinder in to be fixed get a firm cost. A replacement only needs to fit in the same location it does not have to be brand specific. I'm quessing the cylinder to have a 4" bore . They can be found new for under $150.00.

Thanks everyone for responding. I acquired this splitter from an older gentleman who replaced this with a new one. I have since found out that he thinks his new splitter certainly is not like his old one. I guess they dont make things today the way they used to! Anyway, does anybody know of a reliable hydraulic supplier on the internet?

Thanks again

Found this cylinder on E-bay . Good price. May fit. $50.00 + shipping.

HYDRAULIC CYLINDER, USA SURPLUS, 4" X 24"
GREAT REPLACEMENT CYLINDER FOR LOG SPLITTERS Item number: 230206370062

Surplus item 40 for sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.