Can I add a sheet of metal to a ceramic baffle on a Hearthstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I thought this might happen and it did. Either my wife or I poked a split into the hard baffle on our Equinox. It really hangs in an area where this is a good chance of happening if you are loading full. I wondered why the flue alarm was blaring for the last few days when it really shouldn't have been. When I cleaned out the ashes today, I found 3 chinks of baffle that were supposed to be at the back so the heat was going straight up, instead of around the baffle.

So, baffle kit will be ordered tomorrow BUT the question to help prevent this from happening again is this: can I put the new baffle together with a sheet of metal so the metal is facing the fire on top of the tubes? If wood hits it, far less chance of banging through the softer baffle.

I've got access to sheet metal or aluminum. Any thoughts? I can't see why it would be a problem, even if I get a few yrs. out of the metal, it would be worth the small cost.

Well you might get 15 mins out of aluminum. And a few days out of sheet metal before it warps to bad. You might get a few seasons out of plate steel.

I would use a sheet of stainless if anything. Or stop loading the stove so close to the baffle. It doesn't need to be loaded that full.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
updated  (1).JPG cut stainless into 4" wide strips. A solid sheet warps due to uneven heat - no way around it.

I did it on my 30 for extra insurance against clumsy bonks!

First pic works great - second pic warped something awful
baffle mod (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dairyman
I have to agree with begreen on loading. That Equinox is a monster, so it shouldn't need to be loaded to the gills in order get a good long burn going. Putting that steel plating under the baffle might work out, but there can always be unexpected consequences when you start modifying a stove. For instance, it's possible the steel plate resting on the secondary burn tubes could have some impact on them over time. It sounds like BobUrban hasn't had a problem with his modification, but then it's a different stove, so your situation could have a different outcome.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
It's not really stuffing it full that can cause the problem. It's as easy as putting in a split from the front and having it deflect up from a split with a knob sticking out. Side loading is safer but right now, all of my dry splits are both cut shorter and split smaller for the old VC and I need to load in the front door so I can get enough in for an overnight burn.

I like the idea of the SS strips and will try that. I cooled the stove down this afternoon and put the 3 smaller baffle pieces back up and they seem to be staying there just fine. As long as I can limp along at 90% until I get the new baffle, I'll be OK. The OTHER problem (besides being cold outside) is that getting parts in Canada is a long process unless I want to pay an extra $100 for expedited shipping. It took a month to get my latch bolt. Other suppliers, even off ebay are slooow delivery to Canada. The cheapest I can find is over $200. Cdn by the time you add shipping and brokerage fees. Yuck!

Thanks for the replies. SS pieces look like a perfect solution. BTW, I will be ordering an extra latch bolt to keep on hand. I think there's been 3 posts about these breaking in the past month or so and best to have a spare.

I actually repaired a ceramic baffle, a corner with screws and a small piece of that expanded metal gutter guard that keeps leaves out of your gutters. This was used as support then I used the high temp glue for gluing door gaskets to also glue the pieces together. It held for 3 years maybe more as the baffle was in the stove when I sold it. The metal was on the top side of the ceramic board which most likely shielded it some from the fire.

Good to know. Thanks.

I broke the corner off mine, maybe 4 inches in each direction.. Repaired it with furnace cement. Has held all year so far. The thing is/was crazy delicate.

I've used Skamol panels as replacement baffles on several different stoves for a few years now. I'll certainly be doing it to my Homestead when my wife or kid inevitably shove a log into our baffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.