Can I change a Bi-Metal Thermo to a regular damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
I have a shennandoah R65 with a bi-metal thermostat. Can I put just a regular type of damper on the front of the stove? I do have a damper on the stove pipe.

dkf5 said:
I have a shennandoah R65 with a bi-metal thermostat. Can I put just a regular type of damper on the front of the stove? I do have a damper on the stove pipe.

I'm pretty new around here, but I know there's at least two other members familiar with that stove; somehow, I must have got my hands on the only one made that doesn't have a finicky bi-metal. I'm heating the shop not house with it though, so I leave the dial pretty high and the ambients seldom get to where they even move it; however, I did test it and it still worked. The in-laws used to heat their house with it for years, and said it always worked fine.

Anyway, I just noted my good luck to explain that, while there are alternatives, I wouldn't be able to describe them. Hopefully, someone else can help you better.

Thanks. I used this stove about 10 years ago when we put in a furnace. Now with heating prices crazy we put the stove back in. I just want to set it to one postion and leave it. Add the wood as I need to but be able to adjust it as i want. I love the way it heats no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.