Can I convert a NG insert to a wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
Is this even remotely possible? It is relatively new construction so the chimney is not masonry, but rather just the run of the mill double walled NG pipe. Would I have to tear out the wall and have some sort of brick/concrete chimney installed or is there some sort of special pipe that they can use? Thanks for any comments.

Not unless you want to burn your house down. Two totally different beasts.

Conversion may be the wrong word.
"Replace" with a wood burning insert or stove & install in a new chimney is what you'd need to do.
Special pipe? YES
Cut a hole thru the wall for the new chimney ? YES (Or thru the ceiling & up thru the roof.)
Doable; but like Hogwildz said "different beast"

A wood burner does not require a brick or tile chimney, in fact steel flue pipe is the usual material, but you need the right type of pipe. The pipe installed for a NG burner might not be the right type. You would need to run a new flue pipe up the existing chimney, or the flue does not have to have a brick chimney but can be installed without a chimney if properly installed.

Many woodburners are designed for 6 inch diameter pipe. Some use 8 inch. There should be some markings on your pipe indicating the grade or rating of the pipe.

Do you know the manufacturer? The one that was in our house when built could be used for wood or gas. We thought we would convert to gas.. but then trees kept falling, and gas as a heat source in an open fireplace is no more effecient than wood. It is possible that yours can also be used as an open fireplace, again, if possible check with the manufacturer.

BUT, what you will learn is even if you can use it as a fireplace.. burning wood.. it won't heat your home.

You are not the first to face this problem. See the link in my sig line, and many others here, as how to handle the problem if you want to HEAT with wood, rather than just burn wood.

SE Iowa said:
Is this even remotely possible? It is relatively new construction so the chimney is not masonry, but rather just the run of the mill double walled NG pipe. Would I have to tear out the wall and have some sort of brick/concrete chimney installed or is there some sort of special pipe that they can use? Thanks for any comments.

Total replacement is the ONLY answer. You have to have an appliance & chimney that
are designed, tested & approved for burning solid fuels (ie - wood). Whether or not the
replacement chimney is required to be Class A, would depend on the appliance you install.
Either way, what you have in there for venting your NG fireplace has different clearances
to combustibles than a solid fuel chimney system does, so there may be additional framing
and/or destruction required to meet the new requirements.

Just getting back to this post. Yes, I figured I needed to replace the pipe. I guess I needed to explain more. My NG insert is surrounded by drywall/wood panels/wood hearth all the way up to the ceiling. In other words, the chimney "chase" is framed inside my room rather than built into the wall/external. See crude diagram below:

xxxxx- external wall -xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x x x
x x fireplace- surrounded x x
x x by drywall/wood x x
x x x x
x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

Would I have to tear out all the drywall/surround in order to change from NG to wood? Who does this kind of work anyway? General contractors or is there some sort of fireplace contractors???

Status
Not open for further replies.