Can I cover passive recirculating air vents?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tua5800

Nov 22, 2015
New Hartford, CT
photo 2.JPG photo 5.JPG moms fireplace model (2).JPG
Hello,

I was hoping someone could share their opinion on whether or not its OK/SAFE to cover the passive air vents on the fireplace this MARTIN AC36 fireplace. I'd like to update this existing fireplace by removing both upper and lower louvered vents and replacing with flat steel plates, a copy of the louvered version with no holes. Then build up a ledge stone veneer covering the newly installed steel plates leaving a 1in reveal of the black firebox housing.
Looking underneath the firebox while the vent is removed there appears to be nothing but an open cavity so air can flow. Considering what I'm purposing so far is safe, would it be good to fill the cavity with KAOWOOL, Leave it empty, or forget the whole thing?

-Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say not to cover it, air flows through there via convection causing the unit not to overheat.

Correct. Don' block the intake or exhaust vent on this fireplace.

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 12.10.34 PM.png

Reactions: jb6l6gc
No problem, you were wise to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.