Can I do this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Building a hearth extension that needs R2.5 (Homestead). A nice fellow user has 1/2 sheet of Micore I can have, but it sounds like tile cannot be mounted to Micore.

Can I use:
2-1/2" Micore 300 (1.03)
1-1/2" sheetrock (.45)
1-layer ceramic tile (.002)
Total: 2.512

S

You need a solid subfloor to place the Micore on. I would not use sheetrock above the Micore, it has a combustible surface and offers little rigidity. I'd cover the Micore with two layers of cement board (I believe each layer of 1/2" Durock is R0.26). Bond it all with thinset. This will give you the fire protection and solid foundation for your tile.

Wet1,
Are you saying to put 1 sheet Durock on bottom as subfloor, 2 sheets Micore in the middle, 1 sheet Durock on top, and tile on that? Is that the thinnest possible option?

Thanks!

S

We did durarock, micore, micore, durarock, slate. Each comma was thinset. To make this even thinner, we put it on the subfloor and then installed the 3/4" hardwood around it. It's not much thicker than a commercial hearth pad. Also with a Homestead on it. Skip the drywall.

Nat

Status
Not open for further replies.