Can I install an insert here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkingbaboon

Oct 25, 2012
We've been working to get our masonry fireplace ready for an insert but have come up against two possible problems and we're looking for advice:

1. The brick surrounding the fireplace opening is painted with latex paint (over top of some other colors). Can we put an insert into this space? We don't want to breathe burning paint fumes...

2. There is a wood covering over most of the front of the fireplace that may be too close to the insert.

I'm guessing that the wood covering could be cut back, but I don't want to do that if the paint is going to be a problem. We've had conflicting reports from two fireplace installers (one said it would be a problem, the other didn't).

Can I install an insert here?

What stove is going in there, the DW 2461?

So far I don't see any show stoppers. The paint shouldn't be an issue. The wood trim doesn't seem to project badly. How thick is it 1/2 or 3/4"? It will be easier to see if this is ok by knowing what insert is going in, but so far it doesn't look like a problem. It's probably no thicker than the surround trim.

We're looking at the Drolet 1800, Drolet 1400 and Lopi Republic. The wood trim is about 1.5" thick. If the stove comes up about 2' off the ground the wood frame is 12" away. The trim with the inserts is about 11" so there won't be direct contact, but there may still be a lot of radiant heat. Should I put some sort of shield on this? or does the trim act as a sufficient shield?

For the paint, have you had inserts or stoves so close to paint without problems?

We're looking at the Drolet 1800, Drolet 1400 and Lopi Republic. The wood trim is about 1.5" thick. If the stove comes up about 2' off the ground the wood frame is 12" away. The trim with the inserts is about 11" so there won't be direct contact, but there may still be a lot of radiant heat. Should I put some sort of shield on this? or does the trim act as a sufficient shield?

For the paint, have you had inserts or stoves so close to paint without problems?

I haven't personally, but others have. I think Hogwildz had black paint for example.

What are the fireplace dimensions? What is the distance from the fireplace opening to the wood at the side and at the top?

I haven't personally, but others have. I think Hogwildz had black paint for example.

What are the fireplace dimensions? What is the distance from the fireplace opening to the wood at the side and at the top?
7" on the top. 8" on each side. But isn't it the distance from the insert that will matter more?

Yes, that's why I asked for the fireplace dimensions.

No problem, that will help us look at all options. How large an area will the insert be heating?

OK, at 16.75 deep it looks like the Drolet Escape 1800i is a skosh too deep for this fireplace. The Escape 1400i is much shallower and would fit. The side trim needs to be at least 10" away from the stove side, so that looks ok too. You are a little close on the height, but that could be addressed with a simple shield if necessary.

I too have some clearance issues and this is what i did, Its a Home Saver Mantle Shield that can be trimmed to your specs. Just for reference.

Attachments

• Can I install an insert here?
    010.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 223
    013.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 182
    012.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 174
I too have some clearance issues and this is what i did, Its a Home Saver Mantle Shield that can be trimmed to your specs. Just for reference.
Whats the metal, brass colored thing above the insert that says "superior fireplace" on it?

Whats the metal, brass colored thing above the insert that says "superior fireplace" on it?

I have a heat form metal fire box in my chimney and Superior is the manufacture, I guess its some type of vent because behind that brass used to be air tubes that were cut out to make room for my ss liner, the old fireplace never produced any heat even with the tubes and vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.