can I paint the inside of the hopper of my pellet stove?...would that cause any problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericwest

Dec 17, 2012
I am painting my pellet stove and doing a thorough safety check....and was wanting to paint the inside of the hopper where the pellets go...just to protect the metal...and make it look a little better...is that ok?..or does that cause any issues?...thanks!!

I would just hope it wouldn't slow/stop the pellets from sliding.

Reactions: moey
I would wax the inside metal with a good polish to make the pelets slide easier.

The inside of the hopper is painted metal, so technically the answer is yes. The question becomes will your prepping/painting help or hinder the pellets from sliding down properly.

Could always use graphite paint and kill two birds with one coat. Extremely slippery and a nice dark gray. I've used it to coat augers and hopper trailers, and keeps the grass from sticking to the bottom of the mower deck. Found at most farm supply stores in spray or self priming brush on.

I am painting my pellet stove and doing a thorough safety check....and was wanting to paint the inside of the hopper where the pellets go...just to protect the metal...and make it look a little better...is that ok?..
You don't need to "protect the metal"....Protect it from what? It's pretty "safe" as it is.
And "make it look better?" Man, just fill the hopper, grab a beer, and enjoy the stove.

The inside of the hopper is painted metal, so technically the answer is yes. The question becomes will your prepping/painting help or hinder the pellets from sliding down properly.

Not all hoppers are painted. A few are. I rebuild stoves and I do not paint the hoppers as a rule. I clean them and try to remove an rust with rust remover. Emory cloth from Home Depot works well to smooth them down so the pellets do not stick. Personally I would not like to see paint chip and go down the auger chute. Some people wax them or use graphite spray.

How does your hopper look? Can you post a pic so we can see and give better advise?

You don't need to "protect the metal"....Protect it from what? It's pretty "safe" as it is.
And "make it look better?" Man, just fill the hopper, grab a beer, and enjoy the stove.

What he said.

Not all hoppers are painted. A few are. I rebuild stoves and I do not paint the hoppers as a rule. I clean them and try to remove an rust with rust remover. Emory cloth from Home Depot works well to smooth them down so the pellets do not stick. Personally I would not like to see paint chip and go down the auger chute. Some people wax them or use graphite spray.

How does your hopper look? Can you post a pic so we can see and give better advise?

Mine is painted from the factory. I guess I should have said mine is painted. I certainly don't want anyone to think I'm saying ALL of them are painted. It's full of pellets and see no need for a photo. And, he asked if it's OK, and since mine came from the factory painted, it is. Even if it wasn't, it is, because I'm capable of painting it without the worry of paint chips in the auger chute. I could have re-painted mine with a much smoother finish than it came from the factory, I didn't. I'm not saying I'm recommending it, I'm answering the question as asked.

Just a guess but if you end up with rust for whatever reason (buying used stove) a coat of paint might be a good idea. Over the summer a lot of stoves probably get a fine sheen of rust on unpainted surfaces. Maybe some the spray molly could be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.