Can I place an enamel steamer pot directly on my cast iron stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestVirginian

Nov 27, 2005
Hi all--

I'm enjoying my new Jotul 500, but have noticed the air drying out. Thinking about putting a steamer on top of the stove.

Can I put an enameled steamer directly on top of the stove? (I don't have a cookplate, the stove is all cast iron). Or would the steamer cause rust?

Thanks in advance. Ian

We also have this problem with dry air in our living room where the insert is - measured about 20% rel yesterday evening. We decided to take advantage of it by hanging our washed clothes on a clothes rack in the room. We hung them up at night, and they were dry by today morning. Saved energy as we didn't have to run the dryer, and had the side effect of keeping the humidity maneagable during the night. In the morning, we folded up the clothes rack and put it away. Just one recommendation to try.

I would have a trivet under it

BTW
You will need more than a pot of water on the stove to keep the air from drying out
I would be almost everyone here has a humidifier of some sort in the house, I have one in the living room and one upstairs

I keep a digital hydrometer/temperature guage in the room with my stove and do not see the steamer making a difference. if anything it gets drier. I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time fooling with it.

I have a castine cast iron with an enamel 2 quart steamer. No problems, refill when necessary and check when I reload stove. No trivet either.

It so dry here, my steamer does nothing. With a 300 gallon aquarium system in my house (that looses 5 gallons of water a day) my humdity stays at about 15% I use my steamer to put apples and cinnamon in to make it smell nice (well, my wife does anyway). I can leave potato chips on open for weeks and they are as fresh as when i opened them LOL. Some people tell me its my avatar's fault.
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.