Can I reuse my old fireplace chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dolf

Oct 2, 2008
great white north
I was considering taking the fireplace out and putting in a wood stove (something about getting the house colder while I try to heat has been bothering me.) Anyhow, when I mentioned it to a sales man he told me that there were two problems. First, a fireplace chimney and a wood stove chimney are completely different (yes, I know that the interior black pipe is, but is the outside stainless actually different?) Then he told me that the chimney really only lasts 10 – 15 years before it needs to be replaced. I know that it was installed in 1981 and I know that it has likely averaged 10 fires a year and has been cleaned every year or two.

I really am keen to put in a stove for supplemental heat. It has come down to replace the old natural furnace (1973 and still plugging) with a high efficiency model or put in the stove that I have always wanted and the stove is winning. Cost is a concern and if I can safely “get away” with reusing the existing exterior portion of the chimney I will likely buy a “good” cast stove where if I need to spend an additional $15 – 1600 for the chimney I will likely buy a more affordable stove.

Finally, if anybody could point me to a site listing some of the manufacturers of good cast stoves I would appreciate it. The only ones available locally are Pacific energy, Vermont castings and Napoleon 1100 and 1600c. I realize that I will need to do lots of research into quality before buying “site unseen” and I may just opt for the local dealer but am looking for what options I have.

Welcome to the site! You could just put the wood stove in front of the fireplace and run single wall pipe up the existing chimney. There are other ways, more expensive ways, but this would work until you could afford those ways.

You could just run a liner, the biggest issue is the size of your flue. As far as need to replace a chimney every 10-15 years, I think he is full of it. Must be a salesman.

You're on the right site to research stoves. Go to the stove review section and check out a few user comments for Pacific Energy and then visit their site to see the different models. I don't have one, but you'll see they are highly regarded.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to measure the chimney tonight and will see about a liner. It seems to me that the outside diameter of the stainless is around 12”, so the interior dimensions should hopefully work.

I have to admit that I did like the pacific energy stoves, but the prices for the cast are fairly high. It also seems to me that with companies like Vermont and PE there is absolutely no competition on price. I called a few places within a couple of hundred miles and found that the price did not even vary $1. A defiant is 2499 and an encore is 2229. I guess that is good, I know the prices and will either continue looking on the net or buy one. I will not purchase at the nearest store as they are the ones who have informed me that the chimney needs replacing every decade. I refuse to support a business who employs sales staff who are either unknowledgeable or dishonest.

Thanks again for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.