Can I swap metal doors for a glass one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SachaTask

Oct 22, 2023
Bristol
We have a very large stove with bifold double metal doors. However we always have the doors open because we want to see the fire but it’s obviously less efficient that way. I would love to swap them for a single or double glass door. Is anyone able to tell me if that is even possible? Many thanks in advance!

Unless the stove had this option, it would have to be a custom job. Even then, the stove door shape or design may not permit this. There is also a good chance that the ceramic glass would stay permanently sooted up due to the lack of an airwash across the glass face. The best solution is to get a modern stove.