Can I use a corn/pellet mix? (NPS 40)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thos

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2009
SW Ontario
I ask because since getting this Napoleon pellet stove last fall we've had a difficult time finding pellets that don't cause bad clumping and the need for frequent pot cleaning. Premium pellets from Lowe's work quite well, albeit with a great deal of ash and soot on the window. Unfortunately we've used up the pallet I bought in Dec. and they're out of stock with none expected any time soon - pellets from the few other local sources are just plain awful. I do have about 30 bags left that, although very clumpy by themselves, worked OK when mixed with the Lowe's variety.
Yesterday I picked up a bag of burning corn and tried it out, first mixed with pellets and then, eventually on it's own. The corn seems to burn pretty well, although there was again clumping by this morning- the stove certainly went longer without major clumping than with these pellets by themselves. After cleaning everything again I'm trying a 50/50 mix today.
So is there a reason NOT to continue experimenting with corn?- I contacted Napoleon awhile back and eventually received a terse "our stoves have not been tested with corn".
I must say I'm disappointed in the performance of this stove- it seems awfully picky regarding pellets, and the available choices in this area are very limited, for now at least. We've tried every possible air intake setting and the installation was done by the dealer, although he's since proven useless for any advice or help.
If anyone has advice I'm all ears...

Tom

Where's Eric and his RED text!

WARNING!!

WARNING!! WARNING!!

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!!

Your stove is not rated for it don't burn corn in it!

Your vent pipe also needs to be rated for corn!

If you want to burn corn, Please purchase a stove thats rated to due so!

Jay

if you creat problems with your stove and they find out that you burn 50/50 mix, you will not have any warranty coverage

j00fek said:
if you creat problems with your stove and they find out that you burn 50/50 mix, you will not have any warranty coverage

Totally agree!!!

Also if you burn your house down and insurance finds out, Probably will not cover your claim!!

Ah well- so much for that experiment. For my own education, what makes corn such an unsuitable/dangerous fuel to use in a wood pellet stove, and how do the stoves and vents differ?
j00fek, are you happy with your NPS 40?

Most pellet stoves havent been tested in independant laboratories to burn corn....the Harman PC45 corn stove uses an agitator in a specially designed basket to burn corn. Corn does produce a more corrosive product in the exhaust pipe from the combustion of starches and sugars in the corn. While most pellet pipe consists of a galvanized outer shell and a stainless steel inner shell, corn pipe often has both shells being stainless to mitigate the corrosion.

Lousyweather said:
Most pellet stoves havent been tested in independant laboratories to burn corn....the Harman PC45 corn stove uses an agitator in a specially designed basket to burn corn. Corn does produce a more corrosive product in the exhaust pipe from the combustion of starches and sugars in the corn. While most pellet pipe consists of a galvanized outer shell and a stainless steel inner shell, corn pipe often has both shells being stainless to mitigate the corrosion.

My corn pipe (Duravent) has galv outer, Its a different Stainless steel in there. Standard is 430 stainless, Corn pipe is 304 stainless! 304 is more durable against the corrosion.

jay

My Astoria is rated by Travis to burn up to 50% corn mix with pellets. I'm assuming that all other pellet stoves by Travis (Lopi) will do the same, as they all use basically the same components from what i can see.

Only thing I wonder is about the vent pipe, but nothing is mentioned in the owners manual in the section that says it's ok for the corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.