Can I use a stove insert without an existing chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayheel

Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
Ok, before I get ridiculed for a dumb question let me explain my issue/idea. 1st we are getting another heat source either pellet or stove. We live in a 2 story 1500sq house with no existing chimney. So, I want pellet or wood(leaning towards wood) stove that we can install in a corner of our family room. My wife however would like that look of a fireplace(mantel etc.) I don't necessarily disagree with here but can't really figure out how to get that to work, so...... is it possible to build a "fake" wall and mantel around and insert? Can it be piped up and out like a regular wood stove? Obviously staying within all clearances, and using appropriate materials. Thanks for any help, sorry if this was asked, i seached for quite a while and didn't come up with this specific question, but now that I said this one of you really talented forum users will probably show me up. :)

-chad

A friend of mine always says, you can have whatever you want as long as you pay for it.

Building around a class A chimney chase to make it appear as a natural fireplace sounds like a good idea to me… it will make everyone happy.

Take a look at the photo gallery, it will give you some good ideas. There are some nice installs displayed.

Where in MI?? Warren here.

Yeah, everything can be done for a price. but if it's to much than the aesthetic look of it might take a back seat to having heat.
Hoping someone had attempted this and either figured out it can be done or not. live near Hudsonville, SW MI

Use a proper rated stainless steel chimney chased in with proper clearances.

my insert is in a zero clearance box with no actual fireplace

I think I misunderstood the OP to mean a chimney insert but now think it was a fireplace insert. There are stoves designed to go into existing fireplaces and there are zero clearance stoves like the RSF Onyx that don't need an existing fireplace but get built in.

11-8-2008%20384.png

This is my corner install
NO fireplace needed :coolsmile:

11-8-2008%20382.png

2stoves said:
my insert is in a zero clearance box with no actual fireplace

good, so this has been done

you have your accentra in a zero clearance box, did you build up around it then? so is this in a popout on an outer wall or just in the room and then vented out? if time/chance pics would be great.

you read my mind, thanks for the pics, this may make my wife very happy. the corner one is exactly what we're thinking about.

Took a corner of living room partitioned it off, and the built the hearth to fit the clearance box, and direct vented outside
and then just add the pretty, like tile and a nice wood mantle. :coolsmirk:

Ok, so I showed my wife the pic, Is it for sale? we'll buy it! :) did you install or have it done? any suggestions or hints that you encountered as you decided to put it in? sorry for all the questions but that's exactly what we've been picturing for our corner.

thanks

2stoves has really inspired me to get going with this project. Thanks,
His looks great and if I choose a pellet stove that's what I would do.
However before I go out and buy a pellet stove, can this be done with a wood insert? anyone done it?

It is built in to the house, and my wife won't be happy if I sell. :lol:
I did all the framing and stove install, but I had a tile guy do the tile, and a cabinet guy do the mantel.
As for price$$$$
Stove around $2800
Tile&labor;$200
Mantel&labor;$400
Framing material $100
This is a pretty close estimate
There is a bigger pic in the picture forum under 2 new stoves

What is the reason for the alternate heat source? Reduction in fuel costs, power outage heat, ambiance? Before considering a pellet stove be sure you have a good, affordable local supply of pellets. If wood is a consistently less expensive fuel source and if extended power outages are a reality, wood may be a better alternative.

But the pellet option has merit as well. Pellet stoves are great if there is a ready supply of inexpensive fuel available. They burn clean and are more convenient. With the flick of a switch or the setting on a thermostat you can have fire and heat. But a pellet stove does require a bit more maintenance and will not work without backup power. This can be a challenge if extended power outages are a reality.

Doubledip gave wise council when he said, you can have whatever you want, but it will cost you. This is going to be an expensive proposition, so it's good to weigh all the pros and cons. If the goal is heat, maybe get a beautiful freestanding stove and give it an attractive hearth that sets it off as well as a formal mantel would. Or there are zero clearance fireplaces that are also good heaters that also can be considered. These units can have the formal surround and mantel. Here are some links to ZC fireplaces:

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/rsf/RSF_Fireplaces___Woodburning_fireplaces
http://www.kozyheat.com/products/woodburning/231zc/index.html

And here are some freestanding ideas for corner installs. They would work fine for pellet or wood burning stoves. Give your minds permission to explore the traditional and non traditional. 2stoves beautiful work is an example of what can be done with some creative forethought. Ultimately the setting for the heater is up to your imagination.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18463/

Attachments

• corner1.jpg
    corner1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 344
  • corner2.jpg
    corner2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 352
  • corner3.jpg
    corner3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 342
The reason for the heat source is mainly as an alternative heat during the cold michigan winter. We do ok with keeping our thermostat down and NG bill isn't to large, however it would be nice to be warmer. Second reason is the look, we don't just want an ugly thing that puts out heat. Actually I wouldn't care but you know..... So we started looking a couple of years ago and still haven't made up our mind(if we were on propane or oil i'm sure we would have) Pellet is pretty easy to get a hold of and most sells around 200 ton here. Wood is also plentiful and I have a way to get it and haul it -just more work involved. Thanks for the advice and pics, looks like we can do it just have to evaluate the cost need vs. want

If you have reasonable NG, that's what I'd put in. It's very likely cost competitive with pellets. You can have it look just about as trick as you want and still have the mantel. The flue is straight out the back. Here's a shot of my friend's Valor installation. Let your imagination have at it!

Attachments

• fireplace_valor.jpg
    fireplace_valor.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.