Can I use this pot belly stove in a home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 16, 2022
Idaho
Somebody gave me this stove. Has anybody seen one like this before? It comes apart in an upper and lower half. I sanded the rust off and painted it with high temperature paint. I lit a fire in it to cure the paint job, and I noticed that smoke comes out of the seam between the two halves. I want to get it into shape to use as an emergency heat source in a home. Would flue tape be sufficient to seal this thing up, or would using this indoors be a bad idea?

wood stove.jpg wood stove 2.jpg

Somebody gave me this stove. Has anybody seen one like this before? It comes apart in an upper and lower half. I sanded the rust off and painted it with high temperature paint. I lit a fire in it to cure the paint job, and I noticed that smoke comes out of the seam between the two halves. I want to get it into shape to use as an emergency heat source in a home. Would flue tape be sufficient to seal this thing up, or would using this indoors be a bad idea?

View attachment 297079 View attachment 297080
You couldn't pay me to use one of them in my home. If you want a stove for emergency heat get a real stove and install it properly so it's ready if you need it

You couldn't pay me to use one of them in my home. If you want a stove for emergency heat get a real stove and install it properly so it's ready if you need it
Thank you for your opinion and suggestion, although that really isn't a practical solution for me. I was hoping someone had some real experience with this type of stove.

Thank you for your opinion and suggestion, although that really isn't a practical solution for me. I was hoping someone had some real experience with this type of stove.
I have seen several of them I believe they are Korean war vintage. They are actually really cool tent stoves but not something I would personally ever feel comfortable relying on to contain a fire in my home.