Can/should a Chimney liner be installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Mo

Dec 21, 2008
SW MO
I have two Englander 24-JC inserts (about 18 years old), one on each level of the house sharing a common chimney but different flues. The inserts have an 8-inch flue collar and my flues are either 8 x 8 or 8 x 13 (depending on the chiimney sweep). I currently have a SS pipe running from the stove over to the appropriate flue that is clay lined. The insert flue collar is located in the rear center of the insert and the chimney flue is about 18 inches to either the left or right of the insert (depending on the insert in question) with maybe 8 inches of overhead clearance between the collar and masonry fireplace ceiling. The operation manual states the connector pipe should be never be less in diameter than the 8-inch flue collar. Can an 8-inch flue accomodate an 8-inch liner? Could a 6-inch liner be used safely? From what I have read on this site, insulation is recommended. Is insulation possible in these circumstances? One sweep said a liner couldn't be installed, another said it could. Who's right?

I would like to use these stoves more often to offset the increasing propane prices. But not at the expense of burning the house down. I currently use the stoves only during extended power outages that occur about every couple years.

Yes you can install liners. If the flues are 8x8, they would need to be removed, giving you enough room for the liner. If they are 8x13, the liner could be ovalized, then installed. Depending on the amount of room in the chimney will determine if you could use wrap insulation or pour down.

Yes they should have stainless steel liners.

Plenty of folks burn with your setup and don't use liners. It is legal from a code standpoint, and it is safe if the right conditions are met. If you burn clean, clean your chimney yearly, and the masonry is in good shape, you will be fine.

Now, that said.......If possible, I would line them. My reasoning is that it is difficult to tell when that masonry is not in "good shape". My chimney is behind walls on the second floor and difficult to access in the attic, so it is very hard to inspect the masonry to know if everything is still in "good shape" Additionally, I think it is easier to clean and if done right will draw better.

If it is a budgetary issue, line one and then the other.

8" liner won't go, and I wouldn't ovalize unless it is your absolute only option. This makes it more difficult to clean because it is not a standard size.

Perhaps consider a newer insert that is more efficient (which would have a 6" flue collar). It would save you wood and put out more heat. I know that adds to the cost, but again, you could stagger the two installs.

My $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.