can someone tell me what this thing is called?

redmanlcs Posted By redmanlcs, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:43 PM

1. Renovationman

Renovationman
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2017
    Loc:
    MB
    For me it was usage plus I didn’t need a 20 ton and don’t foresee the need for one. It would definitely be different if I was splitting 4-5 cords a year. My buddy up north has a 6 ton electric and never had an issue with his 3-4 cords a year. He’s had it at least 10 years. Plus I already had the generator.

2. moresnow

moresnow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2015
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Agreed. The older I get. The smaller my wood:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spudman99

spudman99
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Yardley, PA
    TWSS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I have an electric in the basement to split my kindling
    That's all I use it for it is quiet

5. Johnny_Fiv3

Johnny_Fiv3
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    North Rose, NY
    My father in law and I built one from parts off of an old backhoe. Built it on a set of axles with a hitch to tow it around. Once at the pile you just unhitched, tipped it up vertical, and dropped the 3 stabilizer arms. The wheels were at the back so you could do this alone. Hydraulic pump and motor were mounted to an old pressure washer frame with wheels. He used some sort of quick disconnects (not sure of proper name) for the lines. He even welded up a cage the motor assembly went into once the splitter was hitched back up that locked it in place for transport. It was a pretty cool project. Still works great. I think total cost was about $350. $50 for a 10HP pressure washer with a blown pump, but motor was fine. $50 for the cylinder, lines, and control stick assembly off the backhoe, $100 for the hydraulic pump and disconnects, $50 for the splitting wedge, $50 for misc parts, $50 for beer. We had the axles and steel laying around.

6. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    Johnny, this is exactly what I'm looking to do. My uncle attempted to make his own. 5hp briggs from lawnmower, tilted on its edge with horizontal shaft carb retrofitted to work., A jack from a handicapped schoolbus wheelchair lift, with hoses and controlls, and a power steering pump from a 1979 ford pickup. The thing looked good and worked good, so as long as you didn't ask it to split anything.

You did peak my interest tho. There happens to be this heavy equipment salvage yard near............... humm. I bet I could get the jack, controls, and pump there at a reasonable price........ I def want to build my own. I have a moble home frame I can cut a beam from, plenty strong. Then I can also use this to mount pump and engine and maybe build my own wedge and push plate.

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That’s astounding. They’re $100/day here, every day.

8. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Sounds like “low-T”.

9. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I actually had it 1 day and a half and i think the bill was mid 40s. I ran it continuously for 8 hrs the first day and 4 the second. Had a helper roll the rounds to me and pile the splits. Other wise i would have to keep stopping to do that. It was a 30ton plus splitter.

10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That's great! I think that if I could rent at those prices, it'd be tougher to justify a purchase. The way I was looking at it, with our local prices, it was only eight or ten rentals to meet the purchase price.

SpaceBus likes this.