Can telephone wire be used for theromostat wire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
Seems to be about the same gauge as thermostat wire. I just happen to have very many feet of telephone 4 strand cable hanging around and a need for new thermostat wire
Thanks Joey C

Thanks Cowboy...Much appreciate it
Joey Chang

Sorry for the personal attack here....

But I can't resist...

Sawdustburners, after reading some of your recent posts I just have to ask...

Do you go through a lot of duct tape while maintaining the homestead ?

36_12_6.gif
image.gif

Cncpro, I don't know if your folks passed this saying forward to you from the hard times they lived through, but you might try it on for size, since you (and all of us) may have use for it in the near future:

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do."

I won't speak to either the Code aspects of what JoeyJ is asking, nor the technical aspects of what gauge of wire might be needed for a t'stat... but I will say that what Sawdust is suggesting is an entirely reasonable and sensible solution, if all that is needed is a few less ohms in the loop. It'll save a few bucks (that would otherwise go to Chine) that can probably be put to better use somewhere else.

Eddy

Yeah, it seems to make sense to me ...it is only braided wire and braided wire is used for lots of things, like $2500 SPEAKERS, ETC

sawdustburners said:
cncpro said:
Sorry for the personal attack here....

But I can't resist...

Sawdustburners, after reading some of your recent posts I just have to ask...

Do you go through a lot of duct tape while maintaining the homestead ?

36_12_6.gif
social.gif
whatever kindatape works! not biased. ps it originated as DUCKTAPE because it shed water like a duck. amazing what u can do with diff tapes!
intelectually speaking, no tape needed to plug underpressurized skull.

Yes I do always keep at least a case of duct tape on hand...as Red Green says..."If the women don't find you handsome thay should at least find you handy....

Don't underestimate tape - here is our local Nuclear Plant using it - no kidding, Yankee Nuclear in VT.

Phone wire would probably work fine in most millivolt situations, but some thermostat wire has decent current going through it (like 24V control loops), so - as always - why not use the right stuff.

It might leak more current and not complete the circuit in long runs....the lighter wire, that is. I'm sure our EE members will clarify.

Attachments

• YANKEE-TAPE.jpg
    YANKEE-TAPE.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 935
Most T stat wiring I ever seen was solid wire, not stranded.

Taco heat motor zone valves take 0.9 amps at 24Vac (~27 ohms)

Standard telephone wire is 24 AWG - resistance 27.3 ohms per 1000'

18 AWG wire is 6.6 ohms per 1000'

The acceptable length for 24 AWG would be 1/4 of that for 18AWG (6.6/27.3)

Aaron

Aaron Pasteris said:
Taco heat motor zone valves take 0.9 amps at 24Vac (~27 ohms)

Standard telephone wire is 24 AWG - resistance 27.3 ohms per 1000'

18 AWG wire is 6.6 ohms per 1000'

The acceptable length for 24 AWG would be 1/4 of that for 18AWG (6.6/27.3)

Aaron

So....telephone wire would be okay out to 250' ?

Haven't tried it, but I would expect that it would depend on the application. There is considerable difference between the wire needed for a thermostat circuit where you are just using tiny amounts of current to trip a control relay, and a circuit that would be driving a zone valve or other motorized / heavy draw component...

I also don't know what the rules are code wise, but I would expect that using something like Cat5e ethernet cable (nowadays used much more than phone cable) would be possible if you used several conductors on each leg of the circuit - I know I've heard of that being done on applications like TV antenna rotator control circuits.

(note - to reduce magnetic fields, use one wire from each pair on one side, and the matching wires on the other side - i.e. + side use the solid wires, - side use the striped ones. Don't use both wires from one pair on the same side)

Gooserider

I just used Cat5E, worked fine for the digital thermostat. Barely any current going through there.

When I swapped my thermostat the wire was smaller than phone line. Then again, it probably is only 10-15 feet long depending on the route they took when they put it in. My thermostat practically above my furnace.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.