Can this stove work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Max W

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2021
Maine
My daughter was hoping to get a PE Alderlea t5 for her maybe 1200 ft2 floor and a half house in Vt. The program that would help her with that only qualifies the T6 based on efficiency. Could this be workable? The house with is crawl space is not well insulated. The living room where the current, old, not in use, stove sits is 13x15 and is wide open to the large kitchen. There is a doorway not far from the stove to a back bedroom. The choices she was presented with was very limited.

A chimney cleaning and inspection found flaws called for a liner which she will be getting. She has dry wood in the shed. In the meantime its oil with all it’s cost.

Last edited:
It’s a big stove but if it’s a drafty house it will do a great job in the dead of winter. It it too big? Maybe but adding an extra layer of fire bricks in the bottom can take up some space so the smaller fires are closer to the baffle.

I agree the T5 would be better but if you don’t have many options the T6 is a great stove.

What choices was she presented with? Was this from a local stove shop? You can probably find different brands that have dealers not too far away.
Heck, a T4 might even cover that space and layout, if the insulation and air-sealing are decent, other than the crawl space..
I really like the PE stoves, with their ease of maintenance and simplicity. I got my SIL a T5 a few years back, and a friend recently got a T4 for a house he just bought. It's a piece of Swiss cheese with the holes but he's working on that; He blew insulation into the walls an ceiling, and is sealing leaks. I think it's heating the place pretty well, but obviously can't burn super-long with a 1.6 cf firebox. He's not been a fountain of info about how it's all working out..I have to ask about things that occur to me along the way.

The other option she has is a Kuma Ashwood, more to size but a catalytic which she Is not looking for. Yes it’s a local shop but they will be lining her chimney as part of the package.

The T6 is pretty flexible in its range of burning but if this is to be the primary or sole source of heat, the Kuma is a better fit. Kuma is a good company. If she decides on the T6 then she would do well to stock up on pine, hemlock, and fir that has been split and seasoning. That wood will put out less heat for milder weather burning.

The other option she has is a Kuma Ashwood, more to size but a catalytic which she Is not looking for. Yes it’s a local shop but they will be lining her chimney as part of the package.
Yep, the Keystone/Fireview are also cat stoves, and they are pricey if that's a consideration. One thing I like about them is that they can rear-vent into a masonry fireplace, if that's what she has, and depending on the lintel height. It's a clean look., and may allow you to move the stove back further, I don't know.
The masonry chimney configuration, such as inner dimensions of the clay liner will also determine whether an insulated liner can fit...I'm thinking the stove shop may have already looked and confirmed this, and plans for an insulated liner in order for it to conform to code/insurance.
I think some of the cast iron stoves by various makers are capable of rear venting, but in plate-steel stoves rear venting is rare.
A stove is a big purchase which will be there many years, hopefully. If it were me, I'd be inclined to get the stove/setup I liked/wanted, even if it cost me more up front. I understand that sometimes there are other considerations that take priority..
I would find other dealers/brands, that would be close enough to come and install, to increase my stove options.
As you'll see, if you haven't already, learning about all the options she has at this point is a steep learning curve. _g Now, don't go lighting your stove with wood this close! I was hauling it in and throwing it there temporarily until I made more room. That was when the cold snap was on the way. :oops:
PXL_20221222_185934294.jpg

Last edited:
I have an extra layer of 2” firebrick on the bottom of my T5. It works great to raise the fire up to the baffle for better efficiency with a smaller fire. Best part is, you can pull the bricks out should you need the full firebox during a cold snap.

If the place is hard to heat, then the T6 will do the job. It's 47 outside and ours has been going since 8am without overheating the house. I just checked and the living room is at 72. This will be a 12 hr burn.

If the plan is to tighten up the place, seal leaks, and add insulation, then the Kuma will work out well.

Is the Lopi Evergreen an option?

Thanks for the responses. With choices very limited in a rural area she found a chimney company which sells several makes of stoves. She prevously called them for a cleaning/ inspection. At that time they did assess for a liner. They are now working with her toward applying for some VT funding toward the chimney / stove package as her current stove is an old timer and meets replacement guidelines. The kuma and t6 meet VT‘s program standards. It’s pretty much going with what is avalable to her now. It is fortunate that that these stoves, limited as they number wise, have good reputations. This co. didn’t dealin Lopi stoves.

She is leaning toward the Ashwood but hasn’t seen some of these last perspectives.

Last edited: