can you id this gnarly old tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
Tree fell earlier in the winter. It has two trunks and I was surprised to find buds on some of the branches while we were investigating yesterday.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Looks like maple
Tree has been sick for a while judging from all the sucker branches

Just a guess . . . maple.

Before I looked at the picture I sensed maple since you said it already had buds. After looking, It's maple. That thing had some wet feet! Was it hollow at the base?

Before I looked at the picture I sensed maple since you said it already had buds. After looking, It's maple. That thing had some wet feet! Was it hollow at the base?
Yes, it is somewhat hollow at the base. The whole area is pretty damp and soggy.

Hopefully it will make some decent firewood. Our cat loves wood heat!

Soft Maple for sure

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Indeed soft maple. We've burn lots simply because we have so much of it. Normally don't burn it at night but works great during the day. Also makes for some super kindling wood when split small.

One of the best things about that tree is if you get it split right away and stack it in the wind, it will be okay to burn next winter. Dries fast. You can even leave these trees whole and they will dry! Takes 2-3 years for that to happen but any longer than 3 years it usually goes punky. Split it and stack it though and it will not go bad.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Silver Maple, I think.
One of the best things about that tree is if you get it split right away and stack it in the wind, it will be okay to burn next winter. Dries fast.
You heard the man; Stack it! ==c

maple
I've got one with those same funny knobs growing on it uprooted on the corner of the property.
Lost a top years ago . Bigger on the bottom but the first top it had is gone. Dunno how rotten it is in side. Fell into the swamp and a ton of huge briars. I hacked some briars out of the way just to get a little better look at it.
Has the same red buds.

I'm glad to hear that it will season quickly as I am a new burner and haven't built up any kind of wood supply. Well, I do have some tulip poplar but it burns ridiculously quick. You're right, I need to get this cut and split asap. I'm going to start tackling it today. Thanks for the encouragement!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.