Can you identify these logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbst09

May 21, 2020
North Carolina
There is a posting for free wood and the poster doesn't know what type of tree the logs came from. I'm supposed to pick them up tomorrow but just want to be sure it is not something difficult to split. I am in NC so I'm hoping they are anything but sweetgum. I am new at this and this is my first scrounge. Thanks

logs.jpeg

Those logs look very straight so I imagine they’ll be very easy to split. I’d grab them.

Looks exactly like sweetgum to me. Anything but easy to split. Worst ever.

Bring a maul with you and test before taking.

Reactions: enduring
Why split? Small enough to toss in
Some are, yes, but look at the ones on the bottom right and left, he'd have to have a boiler or a heckuva big stove to put them in, those on the bottom right should yield 4 regular size splits alone!

Reactions: JimBear
I'm on a roll today. Just picked a pickup load of red oak that had fallen. It is still very wet. It split sooooo easy though. It is now all stacked out in the sun. I'm pretty much done scrounging now, I'm just gathering for an occasional firepit. I do love reading the forums here though, makes me wish I had a stove and lived in colder climate sometimes....
oak.JPG

Just so you know that Oak will take a very long time to dry out, and when it is dry will burn an awfully long time in a firepit. Maybe you'd be better off with some of the other hardwoods like Silver Maple and Birch and Cherry that will burn with a lively flame in the pit? Like some of the stuff that you got that is dry in that first picture. But I understand that you are scrounging whatever you can get, but just wanted to let you know the Oak takes a long time to dry out, if you tried burning it in the pit it'll smoke you out if still wet!

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you said you are new at this so I wanted to give you a heads up BEFORE anything like that would happen!

Just so you know that Oak will take a very long time to dry out, and when it is dry will burn an awfully long time in a firepit. Maybe you'd be better off with some of the other hardwoods like Silver Maple and Birch and Cherry that will burn with a lively flame in the pit? Like some of the stuff that you got that is dry in that first picture. But I understand that you are scrounging whatever you can get, but just wanted to let you know the Oak takes a long time to dry out, if you tried burning it in the pit it'll smoke you out if still wet!

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you said you are new at this so I wanted to give you a heads up BEFORE anything like that would happen!

Thank you for the advice @PA. Woodsman, I do plan to burn the other dry stuff that picked up first and let the Oak season for a year+. I have read a lot of the threads on this board and it seems the general consensus is to pick up something like Ash if possible for instant gratification, but since the oak was free and required very little effort to get it I picked it up. I have a neighbor with a big stack and may swap out my green oak for some of his seasoned wood. I hate having a stack of wood and nothing to burn, I guess I need to learn patience....

Thank you for the advice @PA. Woodsman, I do plan to burn the other dry stuff that picked up first and let the Oak season for a year+. I have read a lot of the threads on this board and it seems the general consensus is to pick up something like Ash if possible for instant gratification, but since the oak was free and required very little effort to get it I picked it up. I have a neighbor with a big stack and may swap out my green oak for some of his seasoned wood. I hate having a stack of wood and nothing to burn, I guess I need to learn patience....
Well you grab wood when you see it so that is a good thing! I'm sure that dry stuff will work just fine for you!

Does the OP have a wood stove or only the fire pit?

Well I guess it’s better than it rotting in the woods. Someone is getting a use out of it, or even better his neighbor gets some nice oak for the wood stove and gives up some lesser wood for the fire pit. That would be a win-win!

Waste of good energy.
Nothing is a waste if it benefits you. I usually save my hardwoods-especially oak for my stove, but I also have a firepit which we enjoy in the evenings. Helps to keep the bugs down and the smell of oak or hickory burning is very appealing. Bartering sounds like a good idea as well when you have some nice looking red oak like that. I personally like burning pine in my firepit as the aroma is appealing and it flames up well.