Can you identify this direct vent natural gas unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eliteconcept

Oct 13, 2023
Need help identifying this direct vent gas fireplace. No sticker or rating plate anywhere on it. Id figure it to be from mid 90s. House was built in 1995/1996 .

Screenshot_20231018_210612_Chrome.jpg

Looks like an early 2000s Heat & Glo unit. Isn’t there a rating plate attached to the floor in the valve cavity?

Looks like an early 2000s Heat & Glo unit. Isn’t there a rating plate attached to the floor in the valve cavity?
Negative. There looks like there was at one point there is some evidence of sticker residue but i can't be for sure. There is no other plate or identification label anywhere on it. Near the controls or on the top

Wow! Looks like an old DSI unit. I haven’t worked in one in DECADES. It’s been so long, I can’t remember model numbers. Are there other homes in your neighborhood with the same units?

Im not sure we moved in just last year i haven't asked around. It works great but the glass busted a couple weeks ago. DSI, is that direct spark ignition? If so you are right i think. I flip a wall switch and it starts up. Its nice. Do you not work on them because they are not common or because they are highly reliable, or they don't make this kind any more? Just curious.

It had an orange gasket on the glass, roughly 1/4in wide an 1/4 in thick. Ive been trying to figure out how to find a replacement. It is looking like rope gasket is my only option.

20231013_081706.jpg

Last edited:
They stopped making DSI units about 2000, I think. The only times I did work on those units was to change them from Direct Spark to a standing pilot. Contact your local Heat & Glo dealer. He might be able to help you with IDing the unit & matching the silicone gasket.

Thanks! I gave them a call but they said they would need a serial number or model number to help identify the proper glass/ gasket :(

Last edited: