Can you please identify this type of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Dec 21, 2015
North Minnesota
Hi, I am new to the site and trying to identify this type of wood. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 12-21-2015 7-04-36 PM.png
    12-21-2015 7-04-36 PM.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 411
  • 12-21-2015 7-06-24 PM.png
    12-21-2015 7-06-24 PM.png
    56 KB · Views: 376
Thank You!! Not sure about that. It splits very easy so would not think it is oak? Plus, we are in Minnesota - if that makes a difference.

Looks like silver maple to me.

bark wrong for silver maple, thinking box wood- linden due to the fibrous layer under the surface of the bark and no distinguishable sap wood or something closely related.

Although the bark looks somewhat stingy I dont think it is, just looks that way due to the way it was split, possibly because it was bark side down riding the splitter beam and was shredded that way from the beam and wedge. Any other splits you can post, a little clearer pics would help as well.

Last edited:
Here are a few more pics. Being told it is cottonwood. Is that possible? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 124
Cottonwood is one of the poplars.
They like water, and Minnesota has lots of lakes. It fits.
Are you interested in knowing exactly which poplar?

Status
Not open for further replies.