Can you put a steamer kettle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
on top of a soapstone stove while it's running?
Thanks-Rusty

If you want to heat up water for tea sure cause you're there minding the stove.

Now if you want to add moisture to the air many here would suggest a trivet to put the kettle on. A boil over of hard water can ruin the appearance of a nice stove...that happened to us before we got a trivet.

Sure you can. Why the heck not? I never understood the logic behind trivets. Remember that the stone is soft and can be scratched if you scrub it with the kettle feet. I refill the kettle in place and leave it sit to prevent scratches.

Attachments

• kettlesmall.JPG
    kettlesmall.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 369
Someone here suggested laying dow a thick rope gasket on the tile and then setting the steamer on that. That is what I do so as to not scratch the top and also to not chance water getting under the kettle and causing a rust spot on the stove stone.

I have also set carefully a couple of cooking pans on the stove to cook stuff such as pulled pork and heated soup etc. on the stove.

Thank You one and all.I thought I could but did not want to chance cracking the stone in case of a boil over. First time with a soapstone.
Thanks-Rusty

What will cause a crack would be cold water on the hot stone. I doubt boiling water would cause much more than steam. Nasty stuff that steam is too.

We always have a pot of water on our stove (not a pretty one though). We also do much cooking on our stove.

Rather than trivets, we use the little soapstone blocks that Woodstock sells as boot warmers or dryers. They have two sizes and we have both. Anything that gets set on the stove has these blocks under them. And those soapstone blocks are great for drying the insides of boots, felt liners, gloves, etc. I also put a pair in some gloves and wrap them up when leaving to cut wood. After cutting wood for a while, my hands get cold and sometimes wet. It is a joy to unwrap those gloves and put a nice warm pair on then! I wouldn't be without them.

Also, if you do scratch that soapstone, you can rub it out with steel wool. Use .00 to sand lightly and then use .0000 steel wool to finish off with. You can also use 120 grit sandpaper instead of the .00 steel wool.

Not so sure on buffing the stone with steel wool. That might work on woodstocks but the hearthstones have a glossy polished surface. Ever try polishing your car to a shine with steel wool? I heard about this steel wool trick so I went about buffing the soapstone kettle when I got it. It arrives kinda rough. Well I buffed and buffed and it never got shiny. I removed plenty material and it did look better but not glossy.

Better to not scratch your stovetop.

Oh and one more thing. Don't expect to boil anything on a hearthstone. Your max stove temp is 500 to 600, and that just won't make anything boil even if your kettle is setting right on the stove like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.