Can you use a screen over your stove door during coal stage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
Not sure if this is even an option, but I would like to open the stove door, a Quad 2700i insert, during the end of a burn and let the radiant heat flood out of the box. I don't keep my stove burning from October to March, and let it die out every few days when I know I won't be there to enjoy/maintain it. Not looking for the 12 hour burn, nor would it be possible with this stove. I would like to have the door open when the box has a nice bed of coals, and I know I will be letting it die out. My question is if this is even an option, which would basically turn your stove into a fireplace. Do manufacturers, and in my case specifically Quadrafire, manufacture screens which can go over the opening in place of a stove door?

I realize that having that in place during a reload would send your stove incendiary, but during a low burn or coaling stage would be nice. Just curious if anybody else has done this in practice.

Some companies make and market screens for woodstoves (i.e. Jotul) . . . but they're designed especially for that make and model. What it effectively does is turn your efficient woodstove into an inefficient metal fireplace.

Some folks here have bought the screen . . . most report trying it a few times and then putting the screen away.

Since the firebox door is open you could actually use the screen from start to finish without fear of going thermonuclear as the secondary combustion would not occur . . . lots of draft . . . woodstove would function more like an open fireplace with an unrestricted burn (think normal campfire, fireplace, etc.)

Some companies make and market screens for woodstoves (i.e. Jotul) . . . but they're designed especially for that make and model. What it effectively does is turn your efficient woodstove into an inefficient metal fireplace.

Some folks here have bought the screen . . . most report trying it a few times and then putting the screen away.

Since the firebox door is open you could actually use the screen from start to finish without fear of going thermonuclear as the secondary combustion would not occur . . . lots of draft . . . woodstove would function more like an open fireplace with an unrestricted burn (think normal campfire, fireplace, etc.)
Does Quad manufacture something like that as far as you know? I wouldn't be looking to use it for the entire burn cycle, just the end where the coals may not be quite hot even to kick in the distribution blower, and draw the actual serious heat they are producing, out via radiant heat.

Going to be pretty difficult to draw heat out of a stove and into a colder room. I think the opposite is going to happen and you are going to draw the warm out of the room and up the flue, and cool the stove off quicker.

I tried this a few times with my old vermont castings stoves. It did burn the coals down faster, but all the heat went up the chimney. We used to use the screen once in a while for the fireplace look and feel in the house, but over time we used it less and less.

I went to the quadrafire 2700i page and did not see a screen. that said, if you're handy, I suppose you could make one with some round stock, screen and a couple of clips or latches. some screens have you remove the door and replace it with the screen of similar dimensions.

Once at coal stage, you don't need a screen...never had coals "pop". I leave the side door cracked open sometimes so the coals will burn down quicker so I can clean out the ash.

Not sure if this is even an option, but I would like to open the stove door, a Quad 2700i insert, during the end of a burn and let the radiant heat flood out of the box. I don't keep my stove burning from October to March, and let it die out every few days when I know I won't be there to enjoy/maintain it. Not looking for the 12 hour burn, nor would it be possible with this stove. I would like to have the door open when the box has a nice bed of coals, and I know I will be letting it die out. My question is if this is even an option, which would basically turn your stove into a fireplace. Do manufacturers, and in my case specifically Quadrafire, manufacture screens which can go over the opening in place of a stove door?

I realize that having that in place during a reload would send your stove incendiary, but during a low burn or coaling stage would be nice. Just curious if anybody else has done this in practice.

Is the idea to do this for looks or to get heat? I've thought about the same thing but decided there would be no benefit loss v. gain wise.

You will flush more heat up the flue, one member on here that goes by Precaud shuts all the air down at coal stage to make the coals give off heat longer, since at the coals stage all the creosote causing stuff has been cooked out of the wood.

You will flush more heat up the flue, one member on here that goes by Precaud shuts all the air down at coal stage to make the coals give off heat longer, since at the coals stage all the creosote causing stuff has been cooked out of the wood.
But if the coals are no longer even enough to trigger the distribution blower, and with the door closed, there is no heat getting in to the room anyhow. Opening the door at this point you actually feel a great deal of radiant heat coming out of the box. Plus it looks pretty and the room is already 76 degrees and thermally mass loaded heated.

oh I see your point you have an insert, on a free standing it radiates the heat nicely.

so your mainly wanting to burn the coals down faster with a room already 76 deg.

so your mainly wanting to burn the coals down faster with a room already 76 deg.
Not so much that I want it done faster, just wanting to squeeze any remaining heat from the hot coal bed, rather than it burning out low and slow without throwing any heat into the room. And it would look nice with the red hot embers pulsating.

Not so much that I want it done faster, just wanting to squeeze any remaining heat from the hot coal bed, rather than it burning out low and slow without throwing any heat into the room. And it would look nice with the red hot embers pulsating.
What is the temp of the stove top when the blower goes off? If purely for asthetics then a screen could be fabricated fairly easy and I say go for it. If the interior of the stove is any warmer than the room you have a heat differential and the cooler air will move to the warmer air. I think I understand where you think it will work. Our bodies are very sensitive to radiant heat so when you open the stove you can definately feel more heat than when the door is closed when your'e directly in front of it. At the same time your cooling your stove and the room faster which must then be reheated when you reload. If you want the maximum heat output I'd say a reload is in order when the stove drops to a temp that the fan shuts off.

What is the temp of the stove top when the blower goes off? If purely for asthetics then a screen could be fabricated fairly easy and I say go for it. If the interior of the stove is any warmer than the room you have a heat differential and the cooler air will move to the warmer air. I think I understand where you think it will work. Our bodies are very sensitive to radiant heat so when you open the stove you can definately feel more heat than when the door is closed when your'e directly in front of it. At the same time your cooling your stove and the room faster which must then be reheated when you reload. If you want the maximum heat output I'd say a reload is in order when the stove drops to a temp that the fan shuts off.
I think the snap disk is designed to trigger at 165. But that is not indicative of the actual heat in the stove. You pretty much nailed it where I am coming from, and I suppose it is more of an aesthetic thing. I realize the ambient warm air in the room would probably be sucked out, but I don't know the trade off from the radiant heat given off.

Status
Not open for further replies.