Can't Find Caddy Furnaces Anywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OttawaSteve

Nov 2, 2022
Ottawa
So after quite a bit of research, I decided to purchase a new Caddy Advanced. This thing looks extremely efficient and propane is getting expensive. I currently have an 18-year-old furnace (with a relatively new blower) and thought it would be a good idea to keep it there as a backup while primarily heating my house with wood.
Here's the problem, I have called every dealer on their website using the "where to buy" feature within a 105 KM (68 Mile) radius and they either can't get them or they have stopped dealing with them... I proceeded to call the number on the website (1-877-356-6663) to hopefully get some clarification but they told me to use the website's "where to buy" feature (https://www.caddyfurnaces.com/en/where-to-buy/) and there was nothing else they could do...
Is everyone having this issue right now? How can I buy one of these things???

Interesting that they don’t have them in Canada. I haven’t heard of any shortages.

Both Efireplacestore.com and discountstoves.net have them in stock, at least according to their websites. But those are both based out of the USA I think, so you may incur excessive shipping costs. Check with them. Update the thread if you hear anything.

We will just go to the source... @SBI_Nick is there a Caddy shortage?

So after quite a bit of research, I decided to purchase a new Caddy Advanced. This thing looks extremely efficient and propane is getting expensive. I currently have an 18-year-old furnace (with a relatively new blower) and thought it would be a good idea to keep it there as a backup while primarily heating my house with wood.
Here's the problem, I have called every dealer on their website using the "where to buy" feature within a 105 KM (68 Mile) radius and they either can't get them or they have stopped dealing with them... I proceeded to call the number on the website (1-877-356-6663) to hopefully get some clarification but they told me to use the website's "where to buy" feature (https://www.caddyfurnaces.com/en/where-to-buy/) and there was nothing else they could do...
Is everyone having this issue right now? How can I buy one of these things???
Hi Steve,

i have checked with our sales department, our inventory is low but the distributors might have some in stock. The distributors in your area is Powrmatic Ottawa, you should contact them and see if they have any in stock. Powrmatic is a national distributors so they might have some also in an other location. If you can't find one you could consider the Drolet Heat commander which is a similar model available on line soon here:

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

I did receive a call back from one of the suppliers and they quoted me 12900 (cad) with tax for Caddy (not advanced or max) with electric element, non ecm blower and a few other parts. I will need to go pick it up and still need to take out the old furnace, buy and install chimney, expand my panel cause my 200 amps won’t be enough with what is currently installed in it, I am handy but hiring hvac and electrical guys is probably safer. I feel like it will 18000$ by the time I am done…
I did not call powrmatic and will tomorrow but at this point it seems like this won’t be a viable option for at the moment unfortunately.

I know it may not be a solution, but look into the "Greener Homes Grant" through the federal government. There are rebates to upgrade heating systems to heat pumps and to add insulation to your home.

Might help you out.

How are you getting the non-Advanced Caddy model? Those are the old models that should no longer be available.

Did you try to get a quote from Kuuma for a VaporFire? They are probably similar or maybe even cheaper than what you were just quoted. And made to order.

How are you getting the non-Advanced Caddy model? Those are the old models that should no longer be available.

Did you try to get a quote from Kuuma for a VaporFire? They are probably similar or maybe even cheaper than what you were just quoted. And made to order.
He's in Canada....they can still sell them there

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

I did receive a call back from one of the suppliers and they quoted me 12900 (cad) with tax for Caddy (not advanced or max) with electric element, non ecm blower and a few other parts. I will need to go pick it up and still need to take out the old furnace, buy and install chimney, expand my panel cause my 200 amps won’t be enough with what is currently installed in it, I am handy but hiring hvac and electrical guys is probably safer. I feel like it will 18000$ by the time I am done…
I did not call powrmatic and will tomorrow but at this point it seems like this won’t be a viable option for at the moment unfortunately.

Thank you for posting your quote. I'm in southwestern Ontario and also got a quote for a caddy in the fall for just over 13k installed. The furnace looks really attractive but at that price point it's the same as an OWB which makes the caddy hard to justify.

Reactions: sloeffle
Why not get a Heat Commander? Sure the warranty is probably not as good but it’s basically the same furnace. Obviously you won’t have a combo with electric, but do you really need that?

I would suggest keeping the propane furnace and connecting it as a backup to the wood furnace. I doubt you would save anything switching from propane to electric, especially being straight electric, and not heat pump.

Why not get a Heat Commander? Sure the warranty is probably not as good but it’s basically the same furnace. Obviously you won’t have a combo with electric, but do you really need that?

I would suggest keeping the propane furnace and connecting it as a backup to the wood furnace. I doubt you would save anything switching from propane to electric, especially being straight electric, and not heat pump.

In my case, I need a backup heat source. My current furnace is oil, and is getting towards the end of it's life. We were hoping to get a wood/propane combo but that hasn't been released yet.

As for the heat commander, well that's the same problem the OP has; lack of dealers. I can't find anyone willing to sell and install one. And I need a certified install for my home insurance.

i imagine 200amp panels will be common as they mandate the people into electric vehicles and electric heat

i imagine 200amp panels will be common as they mandate the people into electric vehicles and electric heat
Don't forget electric cooking now! :rolleyes::mad:

I cook with electric, heat the house with mini split, charge my plug in hybrid and run a well pump quite easily with a 200 AMP panel and unless I am going to use the oven for an extended period, I can run the place on 60 Amps. The type of electric heat being discussed is heat pump tech not old school resistance heat.

I cook with electric, heat the house with mini split, charge my plug in hybrid and run a well pump quite easily with a 200 AMP panel and unless I am going to use the oven for an extended period, I can run the place on 60 Amps. The type of electric heat being discussed is heat pump tech not old school resistance heat.
We are all electric, except heat...on well water, have central air, run welder and air compressor in the shop too...100A panel, no issues.
I did swap out the electric water heater for a HPWH a few years back, but was never any problem running the old one.

That's a lot of juice for a house.
It is...I think they size the panels now so that every possible thing in the house can be on at once...plus some.

Not up here
The goberment made the regulations that make heating with oil evil.
There is probably over 90% of the newest subdivision in the capital is all electric heat,there may be a bunch of mini splits, but there is way more resistance heating going on as the mini splits are useless at real winter temps.
So now when it gets cold a row of about a dozen rented diesel generators fire up to hopefully handle the load in the cold.
It hasn't been working real well this year as there have been unpresedented power outages through out the Yukon this winter

Not up here
The goberment made the regulations that make heating with oil evil.
There is probably over 90% of the newest subdivision in the capital is all electric heat,there may be a bunch of mini splits, but there is way more resistance heating going on as the mini splits are useless at real winter temps.
So now when it gets cold a row of about a dozen rented diesel generators fire up to hopefully handle the load in the cold.
It hasn't been working real well this year as there have been unpresedented power outages through out the Yukon this winter
True, but even a biggish electric boiler (something I can relate to) running maxed out (say 18kw) is 'only' at 80 amps. That is big use, relatively speaking (and would cost $85/day to run at 0.20/kwh :eek:), leaving 100 amps still available on a 200 amp service (some rounding there).

Electric baseboards are probably the most common being used.

Electric baseboards are probably the most common being used.
Cheap and easy. Easy to zone too. I like the wall heaters but the same concept.

My new heat pump on a 25 amp breaker replaces a whole pile of 20 amp breakers that originally provided power to all of the electric baseboard circuits. That heat pump barely uses any of that 25 amp max.

Times are changing. Whether we like it or not.

Cheap and easy. Easy to zone too. I like the wall heaters but the same concept.

My new heat pump on a 25 amp breaker replaces a whole pile of 20 amp breakers that originally provided power to all of the electric baseboard circuits. That heat pump barely uses any of that 25 amp max.

Times are changing. Whether we like it or not.
My brother has a heat pump in a super efficient house.At -20C it doesn't produce any heat for the electricity it uses.