Can't Find Caddy Furnaces Anywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My brother has a heat pump in a super efficient house.At -20C it doesn't produce any heat for the electricity it uses.

They certainly make less heat as temperatures drop below freezing. This is part of the specifications and design.

Luckily, modern equipment should deliver about twice as much heat as the electric consumed down at least -5 F. If that’s not enough heat for your brother then that was a design decision.

I would want a good secondary system in that climate!

My brother has a heat pump in a super efficient house.At -20C it doesn't produce any heat for the electricity it uses.
There is a pretty wide range of capabilities between different models of heat pumps. I have only tried ours down to -15c or so. They were still putting heat out at that. Using more kwhs to do it, but still quite a bit better than electric baseboards.

Right.

Which is why I asked what else was using juice if a 200a panel wasn't big enough. That's a lot of juice for a house.
And here I am with two 200 amp panels for my house. Not sure why... About to get them replaced and maybe I can get it down to one after I trace everything. I guess I'm ready for the future.