Can't Find Pilot Assem or Thermocouple for Old Fireplace - Substitution?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GPPP

Oct 17, 2019
DC
Hi all, I have a 24 year old direct vent gas fireplace. ( FMI Model DV1000E, Serial DN4631) Have had service out and they say no old parts avail to fix my issue and I would have to replace entire unit with a new one for thousands $.

I believe it needs a new thermocouple or pilot assembly (thermopile, pilot burner, orifice). *Aren't there "generic" thermocouples or pilot assemblies made by other companies for similar units that could be installed / substituted that would work?* I'd rather not replace the entire unit, if some kind of repair part would work or could be modified to fit, etc.

(Issue: after turning on wall switch, pilot ignites, then goes out after a minute or two and logs don't light. If I then periodically turn wall switch off and on again over several hours, the pilot eventually stays on and the logs will catch and light up . So it takes several attempts and hours to get fireplace going.) Has been serviced and cleaned by very reputable co. in my area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't clear, every time the wall switch is used, the pilot does come on, but it goes out after a minute. Until it eventually stays lit after several times.

I would STILL replace the switch. They wear out over time & can function erratically until they fail completely...
What's it gonna cost? Couple of bucks & a few minutes of your time.

are you sure your reputable service person actually took the orifice out of the pilot burner and made sure that it wasn't partially blocked? an hour ago I just performed that service to remedy my 20-yr old Jotul 3 Allegash. it's in a vacation house and this is the first time I used it this season. the symptom was that the pilot would light fine, but when the thermostat turned off the main flame, the pilot was very weak and after a few minutes it went out. the flame was so weak that it wasn't heating the thermocouple, so the gas valve thought the pilot was out so it shut off the pilot gas flow.
I removed the orifice and blew it out (I didn't have a wire fine enough to push through the orifice), reinstalled it and now it seems to be working fine.
from your description of the symptoms, it sounds like the pilot flame isn't immediately heating the thermocouple properly so it eventually goes out a few times before the thermocouple is hot enough to maintain the pilot gas flow.