cant get a draft on our Witfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lancer

Dec 23, 2022
Wisconsin
Hello (new here), I've had this Whitfield for 20 years, She's my best friend but lately I can't get her to stay lit, it's a draft issue and much to my surprise when I took it apart, the draft regulator shaft is simply screwed into a nutzirt and it does absolutely no
20221223_103342.jpg
thing.
The stove and pipes are clean, bricks removed and cleaned behind them.
Here is what I notice. Once struggling to get the draft.. the stove shuts down (like it should)
When I re start it, the fans run high and I have the best flame... for about 5 seconds, then the motors dies down a little (like they always have) and I loose my perfect draft flame.
I do not have outside air (never did) this old girl is the best purchase I ever made and she's move with is 3 times... only thing I've ever done was replace the auger motor... (which is very loud btw) and the factory bricks.
Any help on why all of a sudden I can't get a good draft? 20221223_105610.jpg 20221223_105914.jpg 20221223_111738.jpg

So while cooking at my own picture, I'm wondering if that piece of metal the nutzirt is on slides in and out... (taking her back apart...)

Did you clean the chimney?

Reactions: Mt Bob
Yes,it is a slide plate. So, a few things, a restricted flue, or stove passages, will kill the "draft". Or,are your controls dying.

Yes,it is a slide plate. So, a few things, a restricted flue, or stove passages, will kill the "draft". Or,are your controls dying.
Has to be the controls... I cleaned the flue, took the bricks out and cleaned behind that,.when you say "controls" is that the part that Controls the fan and auger speed?? I'm guessing so. I did notice the auger sounds like it turns like it's on 4 or 5.. when it's on 1.

Well, depends on model and year of stove, there were many different control boards. But, they are "all in one" controls and brain all in one package, unlike some stoves. Parts are available, and rebuilding is possible. Will leave some info.