Q&A Can't get coal fire going - HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Are there any real-world coal people out there? We bought our first coal stove this year . It is an Alaska Kodiak. I tried to follow your fire starting instructions on this web site, and I am still failing miserably. I seem to be having an awful time deciding when my fire is big enough before I try to toss some coal in. My efforts have resulted so far in no fire, or a very small circle of glowing coals, that eventually just fizzle out. Help, I want to be warm...

Answer:

Hey, I wrote the article and have burned and started many a coal stove.

One major thing....you can't get a coal fire going until it gets quite cold outside...24 hours a day under 50 degrees or so. The chimney just won't draft right.

So, follow the instructions carefully.....use small pieces of hardwood to start a wood fire...follow with slightly bigger pieces 1" or 2", keep draft fully open. When wood have turned to hot red glowing coals, place a small amount of coal on top...maybe 1"..so you can still see the wood glowing below. Wait about 15-30 minutes til you are fairy sure that coal is lit...then load er all the way up. It may take HOURS for the fire to totally establish itself - just leave it alone after you fill it til the stove get nice and hot.

Then adjust and continue to follow the coal tips listed at https://www.hearth.com/what/coaltips.html

Link: Coal Burning Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.