Can't seal leak at the collar... what's going on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm sure there will be many questions about my setup but he's what I can say. I have a VC montpelier in a exterior chimney with a 6in stainless liner about 18ft. At the insert I have a quick connect style adapter ( stainless steel appliance adapter) going from the liner into the collar. Yes it's screwed in through the holes in the collar.

I can not keep this thing from leaking for the life of me. I've used furnace cement and that stove and fireplace cement&mortar black paste stuff.

Every now and then I notice the insert really isn't getting up to temp and not good secondaries. So I pull the surround and anything that I've put around the connection to the collar for sealing up little leaks that I've found with a lighter, it always leaking again.

I've let the stove completely cool down. Clean off everything that was on the joint with a wire brush I've tried sealing it with 2 different things mentioned above and let them dry over night before I slowly brought the stove back up to temp. What am I doing wrong? It's the end of the season so I'll be pulling the stove this summer to make block off plate and I'll be starting fresh with a new connection that I got from Rockford but other than that I don't know what else I can do.

Sorry if I'm a little all over the place just trying to put everything down before I forget something I wanted to include in the post. Any input would be appreciated... thanks guys

I'm sure there will be many questions about my setup but he's what I can say. I have a VC montpelier in a exterior chimney with a 6in stainless liner about 18ft. At the insert I have a quick connect style adapter ( stainless steel appliance adapter) going from the liner into the collar. Yes it's screwed in through the holes in the collar.

I can not keep this thing from leaking for the life of me. I've used furnace cement and that stove and fireplace cement&mortar black paste stuff.

Every now and then I notice the insert really isn't getting up to temp and not good secondaries. So I pull the surround and anything that I've put around the connection to the collar for sealing up little leaks that I've found with a lighter, it always leaking again.

I've let the stove completely cool down. Clean off everything that was on the joint with a wire brush I've tried sealing it with 2 different things mentioned above and let them dry over night before I slowly brought the stove back up to temp. What am I doing wrong? It's the end of the season so I'll be pulling the stove this summer to make block off plate and I'll be starting fresh with a new connection that I got from Rockford but other than that I don't know what else I can do.

Sorry if I'm a little all over the place just trying to put everything down before I forget something I wanted to include in the post. Any input would be appreciated... thanks guys
You need to use gasket to seal it

I don’t think this small leak would be causing poor performance, unless it a big gap, typically no sealant is used there. Does yours have an unusually big gap?

It really does make a difference when it's sealed. The stove struggles to hit 400 when it's leaking with poor secondaries. When it's all sealed up, I get a steady 500 at the top of the door arch and nice longer secondaries.

It's a 6inch collar and liner and even with it screwed into the collar, I'd say it has almost 1/16 heavy gap. Someone suggested flat gasket to sealit better

With a 1/16” gap, flat gasket is about your only option.