Can't seem to find the right fp/stove for our new construction - all advice appreciated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dBrad

Mar 14, 2017
SC
EDIT 2017-09-13: Installed photos posted below

First time posting but I've followed this forum off and on for years - what a great resource!

Basically, we're building a new home and can't seem to find the right high-efficient fireplace or stove for our needs. A little about us... We love wood burning fireplaces and have one (Majestic firebox) in our current home, but we do not use it for primary heating. We just love a fire and burn it when we're home and it's reasonably cold outside (and yes it sucks up the heat from the rest of the house in the process). We live in upstate SC though so we really only have fires Dec-Mar on the weekends and maybe 2-3 nights during the week. To make it easier we had a gas log-lighter installed when the gas logs were removed (house came with them) and we converted over to wood. Our main issues with our current setup? The ash smell the next morning, and how cold the rest of the house gets when we burn.

So now we're building a new home and want to be as efficient as possible with our fireplace choice, but without installing a free-standing stove or insert. We also still don't intend to use wood as our primary heat source. The house is being built on a basement and we are putting a freestanding stove down there, but for the main level we really want a more traditional fireplace look. The main level will actually have 2 fireplaces and I'm considering having one of them be gas logs. gasp! Well, maybe. :) Regardless though, we want at least one of them to burn wood.

At our local fireplace stores we've seen some of the high-efficiency fireplaces and generally like that concept. It lets us open the doors to enjoy the fire during the evening, then fill it up and close the doors at night to let it heat the house in conjunction with the heat pump. As the fire dies down toward morning, the heat pump kicks in and does the rest. That's the plan anyway.

So what's the holdup with the high-efficiency fireplaces? The look. My wife hates how they look. I think they look nice but I'm not in charge of design. :)

The new house style is Craftsman and we're trying to stay within that. No arches, etc. All of the high-efficiency fireplaces our stores have around here are either arched or - if they are squared off - have large grates above/below the firebox that she hates about as much as the arches. And really, I'm not a fan of the large grates either.

So set me straight if I'm on the wrong track with the high-efficiency fireplace - that's sort of the road I'm on now though. I'm just looking for ones that will pass the eye test of my wife. :) Or maybe there's a stove out there that gives us those same design qualities without looking to her like an insert. I'm open to all suggestions!

Last edited:
Reactions: dBrad
Rather than going with gas logs in a fireplace, look at direct vent fireplaces. They are high efficiency and will cost less money than installing a prefab fireplace system just for gas logs. There are tons of options, I'm sure some will fit the bill.. Here's a picture of mine, although it's an insert, same idea.

As for wood, it's kinda hard to get rid of the grills, the insert look or the arched doors. Arched doors and big rectangle door are pretty common. Grills are present on the lower end units almost always. Here is a new one that was at the trade show that is cool. It's a clean face and the blower outlet can be remotely located. Up high, or even in an adjacent room.
http://hearthandhome.com/products/2017-02-14/42_apex_clean_face.html

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 200
I love that Rumford! I don't like the price, but that's a great solution! My local dealers don't offer that line but someone else does an hour away - I think we'll drive up on a weekend and check that out. The door/screen is brilliant!

I like those PacificEnergy options but my wife isn't as enthusiastic. :) The direct vent seems like a decent option for one of them though - I'll discuss that with our local dealer.

Thanks for this feedback so far!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I still love the Rumford and am waiting on a quote for it now, but I anticipate it coming in too high. A local fireplace store sent me a text today about a similar unit from Napolean, but I don't think its door seals like (I think) the Rumford one does. My deadline for picking these things is getting close - framing begins in a couple of weeks and they need the specs.

http://napoleonfireplaces.com/products/high-country-8000-wood-fireplace/

upload_2017-4-28_10-12-35.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain, but "high effciency fireplace" is one of those oxymorons like military intelligence or corvette fuel economy.

If you like the look but dont like ash smell in the am i would suggest a direct venting natural has unit. I wouldnt try to heat my place with one, but my mom in northern calirfornia has one that does pretty good for her climate.

Are you going to have some sort of outdoor firepit for your caveman fix?

FWIW. the new stock 2017 Corvette gets 29mpg highway 17 city unless one has a lead foot. I did a double-take at the EPA sticker when I saw one in the showroom.

That's better than my wife's Honda!

I bet the vette was idling down the freeway on top of a car hauler.!!!

I feel your pain, but "high effciency fireplace" is one of those oxymorons like military intelligence or corvette fuel economy.

If you like the look but dont like ash smell in the am i would suggest a direct venting natural has unit. I wouldnt try to heat my place with one, but my mom in northern calirfornia has one that does pretty good for her climate.

Are you going to have some sort of outdoor firepit for your caveman fix?
Yeah I realize I'm asking for the best of both worlds here - hey, can't hurt to try though right? The good news is that the Renaissance Rumford fits the bill perfectly - the guillotine door disappears to give us the perfect fireplace experience while we're awake, then seals the smells away when we hit the hay. The bad news is that it's well into 5 figures and I have 2 other fireplaces yet to go. Not happening! The Napolean unit isn't much cheaper either.

Yep, we'll have an outdoor fireplace on the screened porch, but that won't replace the need for an indoor fire for us. I have breaking news though - my wife has relented somewhat on the aesthetics of the high-efficiency units! I found a local Pacific Energy dealer and fell in love with the Alderlea T5 in white enamel.

For now I'm thinking just going with a budget unit on the porch, a mid-grade firebox for one of the interior FPs, then either a high-efficiency fireplace or something like the Alderlea as our main burner.

Just an update. We've decided on the Quadrafire 7100 as the HE FP unit, then we're going with an Astria Georgian for the other interior FP. The outdoor one will just be a basic Astria/Superior/HeatNGlo firebox. Hopefully that 7100 doesn't run us out this winter!

I always appreciate when folks post pictures so here are a couple. Our construction is moving really slow but we now have the 7100 & Villawood installed! The Astria Georgian should be in soon.

7100.PNG
villawood.PNG