Capping off old gas F/P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Donn2390

Dec 1, 2007
I have a 20 year old home with a builder installed gas F/P. It has a wall switch to activate the fire. It isn't one of the really old ones with wall vents, just a single vent pipe exiting at the roof.
During a recent remodel the gas unit was removed, gas line properly capped off and electric disconnected. The gas unit was replaced with one of the new electric flame less units that is really just a large lamp, no venting required.
My question is, do I need to have the roof vent capped off or is the standard rain cap sufficient? I'm is So Cal where rain is rare as is extremes cold.
Thank you

Thanks Bob, but the critter problem is taken care of, the vent pipe still has the original rain cap on top, with a covered top to prevent water intrusion and around the sides it has screen, so nothing can get into the pipe. That is why I wondering if there is any reason to remove the rain cap and cap it off? I would think it's not necessary but wanted to check with the experts to be sure.
TY....