Capping/sealing a wall pass-through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SMCSullyMan

Oct 23, 2014
North Shore, MA
Hello all,

My wife and I are selling our home and the buyers have asked that we remove out pellet stove and seal the hole going outside. What do you think the best way of doing that would be. I was going to get 2 3" pipe end caps and caulk them in from either side. Any suggestions?

Is ti a condition of sale or are you just being nice ?
If it is a condition of sale then the pipe must be removed the dry wall repaired and painted
on the inside . the outside must be a weather tight seal eg a plate of some sort screwed over the hole
At least here that's what the contract would call for .
If you are just being nice what you suggest works

A Little of both. We worded it in the P&S in such a way that it's acceptable for me just to seal the 3" hole, not the entire wall plate. I'll order up some 3" caps and get a good sealant. Thanks!